6: Replications

"I need a case!"

John sighed, rubbing his temples and shaking his head. Sherlock was becoming increasingly difficult since he had solved the case of The Missing Woman and was craving more stimulation. The lack of drugs and nicotine patches were only making his feelings more extreme and he was now pacing around the living room. Well, if pacing includes walking over furniture and jumping into his chair, only to leap out again and step on a stool. He had taken to the bookshelf, flinging book after book behind him after reading the titles, uttering 'dull, read it, know it by heart, predictable, boring, don't want it". This was the last straw for John, who leapt up and tried to prise the man away from the paperbacks.

"Okay," he began. "Come on, leave them alone. I'm sure we'll find something to do."

He held the man's wrist, helping him down and sitting him in the kitchen. He made sure to hold the detective down by his shoulders, forcing him to stop his eratic behaviour. John's eyes locked with Sherlock's and they shared a couple of seconds of silent eye contact before the conversation resumed.

"My mind needs exercise like a car needs driving. It's useless otherwise and I'll fall apart."

"I understand. Which is why I've had an idea."

The taller man's eyebrows furrowed as he listened intently to what was about to be said.

"Go on..."

"I'm taking you out."

"I'm not hungry, John."

"We're not eating."

John hailed a cab and they shuffled inside, Sherlock eager to find out where they were going. He hadn't heard of the address given and therefore couldn't figure out why they were going. This kept his mind active as he watched for each road sign and street name.

After about twenty minutes they arrived, hurrying out and into the building. It looked like a large house, with a traditional exterior but a modern interior. Two ladies stood behind the counter, each smiling cheerily and tapping away at the screen in front of them. Clearly, one was being trained and had never used technology before. The other had the patience of a saint and probably wanted to set the trainee up with her cousin, whose relationship status was proving devastating to his mother.

"Why are we here? What is this?" Sherlock whispered into John's ear whilst the two were discussing how to enter promo codes.

"Hello," John smiled, leaving his partner to listen carefully. "Can we try your 'extreme' room please?"

"Yes, of course!" The black-haired girl replied, quickly grabbing a form. "And is it just the two of you?"

"Yes."

"Perfect, just enter your card when you're ready." The blogger did as he was told, later sliding his wallet into his back pocket. "Thank you, you can start as soon as you like and you're able to let yourselves out when you complete it. If you need a hint, you have to sit cross-legged on the floor and hold a séance. Then you'll hear us ask you a question. You have three clues available."

Aware that they were being watched by the staff members, both men walked away maintaining a bit of distance. On a wall were leaderboards, showing the fastest ten visitors. For this room, thirty three minutes and fourteen seconds. The door locked behind them and the timer began, leaving Sherlock to hurriedly read the note left. He then hurried to the chest of drawers, searching through them rapidly.

"What are we looking for?" John asked, watching on with curiosity.

"Another note. It's stuck to a toy of some sort."