Fundamental

Bucky paused the show and frowned. "Fundamentally, what's the difference between us?"

Steve blinked. "Different values, virtues." He looked at him. "Why?"

"I don't know," Bucky mused. "I feel like there's more to it than that."

"Well, we are our own people." Steve shrugged. "Morales are different. Again, what does that matter?"

Bucky pouted a little. "I don't wanna be like these guys." He nodded vaguely to the tv and Steve twisted in his seat and grabbed Bucky's hands.

"Baby," he said gently. "Fictional characters."

"Yeah but-- "

"Cannibal." He pointed to the tv. "Normal person." Then he pointed to Bucky, who made an unimpressed face. "Also I'm not much of an empath to that extent so-- "

"So fundamentally?"

"You're a good person," Steve said. There was a finality to his voice that made Bucky smile, ruefully. He nodded and clicked the tv back on.

////

The difference between them was, fundamentally, morals; Steve lived by a pretty strict code, tried not to kill and was considerably careful. Bucky was considerably less so -- if they were bad typically they got a bullet through the brain. Quick; painless, anyway.

"Buck," Steve hissed as Bucky knocked someone down a staircase. Bucky threw his hands up and looked exasperated.

"What would you have me do, Steve?" he whisper-retorted. Steve stared at him incredulously.

"Not throw people down the eight flights of concrete stairs!"

"Like you're not accidentally killing people too," he pointed out. Steve huffed and adjusted his stance.

"Yeah, yeah," he dismissed before giving the signal.

The two rushed forward and threw themselves into the fight.

////

Fundamentally, they cared for each other and would do anything to protect the other.

"Buck," Steve said through gritted teeth. "Get out of here, if they catch you -- "

"I know." Bucky's eyes were fixed on the door, hand hovering near Steve, ready to jump into action. "But I'm not leaving you," he said quietly.

"Bucky -- "

"I'm not leaving you," Bucky repeated, turning briefly to look at him. "I promise."

The banging of the door echoed around them and they greeted the unknown.

////

Fundamentally, they were sort of idiots who happened to be strategists and smart thinkers and planners -- but idiots all the same.

"F*ckin' hell," Bucky spat as they staggered from the burning building. "Yeah, like raining fire isn't going to kill people, Steve," he mimicked and turned to face him.

Steve had slumped to a knee; he looked shockingly pale. "I think I'm gonna pass out," he breathed as the world flickered.

Fundamentally, Bucky loved Steve Rogers with all his heart. He went instantly to his side and tried to help him, eyes huge, terrified.

"Steve, hey, hey," he tried. "Stay with me, Steve, stay with me... "

////

Steve knew the fundamental differences between them as soon as he woke up to find Bucky sitting there, gripping his hand. The difference -- Bucky caught Steve and held onto his hand like a lifeline.

Steve hadn't.

"You feeling okay?" Bucky's voice was a rough murmur. He didn't look up, yet Steve could see the dark shadows under his eyes from the angle he was lying at.

"What happened..?"

"Broke your leg," he listed, finally meeting his eyes. "Inhaled a lot of smoke, got a concussion from general falling building." He looked down again.

"That scans." Steve winced as he pushed himself up, and Bucky held his hand tighter. He seemed to be wrestling with something, internally.

"You said something," he finally spoke. "Between you passing in and out... you said, 'fundamentally, you're a better person because you caught me, and I didn't.'" He frowned. "That been on your mind a while?"

Steve paused to think. Other than it just being on his mind, it must've come from somewhere. He felt his cheeks burn.

"I guess I-- "

"Steve, here it is, okay? We save each other every godd*mn day. We don't -- need to keep a record, this isn't a trade-off deal or -- " He cut himself off, took a deep breath. "You've saved me more times than you could ever know. You're a good person, Steve."

Steve just nodded, studying him. "Okay," he said quietly, and Bucky again squeezed his hand.

"Okay."

////

Just me breaking down roughly what they are :)