No Meat

Bucky scrutinized the content of the package carefully, and Steve stood with his hands on his hips -- impatiently waiting for his husband to make a choice.

"Buck," he said, and that was his tone of we're holding up the aisle, hon, let's get a move on. Bucky clicked his tongue, ignoring him. Steve suppressed a sigh and looked to the floor.

Bucky murmured to himself the ingredients, then shook his head. "Steve, do you have my glasses?"

"You left them at home, hon, I said that you -- "

"Well you didn't remind me to grab them."

"I didn't exactly expect you to pore over every single ingredient, Buck-- "

"Health is important," Bucky interrupted, standing up straight to look him in the eye. "My eyes are already going and you're just old."

"You're older than me!"

"Whatever you say, old-timer." He smiled at him, charmingly, silently saying I know you love me.

Steve shot back that annoyed yet fond look and a gentle roll of his eyes. Bucky smiled and continued, knowing Steve was at his disgruntled phase -- that was okay.

"This one," he said decisively and dropped the box of cereal into the waiting cart.

Steve pushed the cart as Bucky darted to various sections of the aisle, usually disappearing wordlessly. "Buck, can you-- " Steve turned mid-sentence to find the space, previously occupied by his husband, empty. Steve sighed.

"We need milk!" Bucky called from the other aisle. Cringing, Steve wheeled the cart to the dairy aisle and pretended to ignore how everyone was staring at these two obnoxious twenty-something year olds, despite the fact they were ninety and just trying their best. Bucky, as usual, was oblivious to the looks they were getting.

"Can you grab some coffee creamer, baby?" Bucky gave him a pleading look, so of course Steve quickly grabbed his favourite type and dropped it in the cart.

"Okay, next up is some chicken," Steve listed and started pushing the cart. No response, and he turned to see Bucky intently studying the scented candles an aisle across from him. Not even surprised, Steve kept walking.

"Maybe we should go vegetarian," Bucky mused as he placed three pumpkin scented candles in the cart. Steve gave him a look that read are you sure about this? Bucky defiantly met his eyes. "Well, I'll go vegetarian. Worth a shot. Our planet is dying."

"Not like it isn't the corporations pouring their smoke into the sky that's the problem," Steve snorted as he grabbed a small thing of chicken and a couple frozen dinners with protein.

"Amen to that," Bucky murmured as he grabbed a couple vegetarian options a little further away.

Finally meeting up once again at the front of the store to pay, Steve noticed Bucky clutching a stuffed pumpkin with a kind face. He gave him a look and Bucky smiled sheepishly.

"I got him for you," he defended and handed the plush over. Steve immediately blushed and took it, then smiled at him.

"Aww, thanks, sweetheart." He kissed his cheek.

////

Once home and ready to prepare dinner, Bucky was determined to try out his newfound trust in vegetarian cooking. He tried frying up some tofu with rice and managed to burn the entire mass.

Steve pulled the pan off of the fiery burner and stared at Bucky, in a how the hell did you manage that kind of way. Bucky was always impressed with how much Steve could say in a single glance.

"So the fat content -- "

"Just let me make dinner, okay?" Steve gently pushed him out of his kitchen and set to work fixing a vegetarian dinner for the both of them.

It was okay.

"Thank you for dinner," Bucky hummed as he scrubbed the dishes clean. Steve, wiping down the table, gave a hum of acknowledgement. Finally finished for the day, they collapsed onto the couch; Bucky to watch a show Sam had been begging him to see, and Steve getting some drawing time in.

Bucky rested his head against his shoulder. Without looking up from his drawing, Steve wordlessly moved his arm around him and pressed a kiss to his head.

"Are we forgetting anything?" Steve said, interrupting the silence. Bucky thought a moment and shook his head.

"Fury wanted us to come in for a quick briefing on Monday," he said. "Oh, and breakfast with Sam on Sunday."

"Perfect." Steve yawned and idly watched the show with Bucky, abandoning his sketchbook to the coffee table.

The night remained quiet.

////

Bucky was able to last on the vegetarian kick for a month, and Steve was proud of him -- he, however, didn't want to participate, which Bucky thought was fine.

"That was interesting," Bucky said about the diet. "Lot less bland than I thought."

"Well, I'm proud of you for seein' it through, Buck."

Bucky smiled at him, and Steve smiled back.

////

Kind of like a day in the life, domestic look into what I pictured they'd actually be like. Leave a comment if you so desire :) I'm not late to this one, yay!