But I want you to know that I am so proud of you. If you're reading this at Christmas, which I know you are because your dad always did listen to me, then it's over; you've defeated her. That is, if the stories were true. And I know in my heart that they were.

I know what you had to do, ladybug. I never knew the details of how you'd have to do it, but I know you're hurting. I know you're hurting because you're my sweet, kind-hearted baby girl who never even wanted to kill a mosquito. But you have to understand; you did what you had to do. I don't know the circumstances or what exactly she'd done to you, but I know from the stories my mom and grandma told me that it wasn't anything good. You had to stop her...for the good of not only you and your father, but for the entire world. She would've destroyed it. But you stopped her. And I am so proud.

Wear this necklace proudly, ladybug. We all have light and dark in us, but you did what Luna could not—you learned to harness them both.

I love you forever.

-Mom

I wipe the tears from my cheeks and hand Julian the letter as I reach into the envelope and pull out a delicate silver chain, and from it hang two charms—a sun in splendor and a crescent moon. My breath catches in my throat as I feel every bit of guilt leave my heart.

It's clear now; even my mom knew it. It was either Luna, or me and everyone I love.

I chose us.

Julian folds the letter and slips it back in the envelope. "Allow me," he says, holding his hand out for the necklace.

I place it in his palm and hold my hair up off my neck so he can clasp it. Pulling it into place, I grip it in my fist and meet my dad's tear-filled gaze.

"I'm proud of you, ladybug," he says, and I spring to my feet and throw my arms around his neck.

We stand that way for a long time, then I turn to Julian, who is sitting in front of the fireplace looking at the charred logs.

"I couldn't have done it without you, Gym Class Julian."

He looks up and shakes his head. "You keep saying that."

"And I will continue to until you believe me," I say with a smirk, drawing him close to me.

Dad clears his throat. "Julian, why don't you get the fire going so we can decorate the tree?"

I hold out my hand over Julian's shoulder and spread my fingers toward the fireplace. With a grin, I say, "Allow me."

"