Thirty-Five

"Hello, Cam? Julian?"

Jerri's voice is a distant echo through the telephone line, and we both take a second to recover.

"Yeah, yeah, sorry, we're here," Julian says, taking his hand in mine and squeezing. "That's just...a lot to take in, that's all."

"I know. But you can pull it off. You both are too determined not to. And it wouldn't be so complicated if she hadn't been able to get into Cam's body," she says, and I can hear the concern in her voice.

"And you're sure the incantation will work to get my body back?" I ask, gripping my hair at the roots with my free hand.

"I have to be honest with you, Camryn; I've never dealt with anything like this before. There's nothing in the book you gave me about that part. I just had to do some extra research on..." She pauses and clears her throat. "Magic and otherworldly spirits."

"So, what you're saying is it may or may not work?" Julian asks, his grip on my hand uncomfortably tight.

"It doesn't matter what I say; if Camryn believes it will work, it will work. She will lend energy to the incantation with her power. But here's what I do know: you have to utter the incantation and get back into your body before you incinerate her. Otherwise, you risk being trapped inside her physical form forever...or worse."

I gulp, screwing my eyes shut. I don't have to ask what she means by worse; doing this in the wrong order or skipping steps could be catastrophic for me.

"Okay, what is the incantation?" Julian asks, pen in hand.

"In a moment. Camryn, it is of utmost importance that you do not say these words until the Supermoon, when you are poised to slip back into your body and then trap her. With your powers, you never know what could happen," Jerri says, and my heart jumps into my throat.

"I understand."

"All right. Here it is: Spiritus autem lux: audiat clamorem meum. Spiritus Patris tenebris, adjuvandum me festina."

"What in the hell does that mean?" Julian blurts, and I elbow him in the ribs.

The amusement in Jerri's voice is evident as she explains. "It's Latin. Loosely translated, it means Spirit of light, hear my cry. Spirit of darkness, set me free."

"Where did you find that incantation? Is it something that's been used before?"

"Yes. I found it in a book of spells here in the library. I don't know how much of this sort of magic I really believe in, but since meeting you guys, my mind has definitely opened to new possibilities."

"We know that feeling. Thank you, Jerri. For everything. It means everything to me that you decided to help us, even when there was nothing in it for you," I say, my eyes welling up with sudden tears.

"Oh, there was something in it for me. The pure and simple knowledge that I contributed to saving your life. Because I know you have the courage to succeed, Camryn. You just have to believe it yourself."

"I'm doing my best," I say, laying my head on Julian's shoulder.

"I know. Call me when it's over, or if you need me before then, you know I'm here."

The line goes dead and I look at Julian. "Do you really think I can do it?"

He puts his hands on my cheeks and wipes the brimming tears from my eyes. "I don't think you can. I know you can. And I will be there every step of the way."

Resting my forehead against his, I take a deep breath. "There's one thing I really want to do before taking Luna on. You know...just in case I don't get another chance."