TWENTY-NINE

Donny Hathaway: Jealous Guy

Essie

After months of feeling powerless and being told contradicting information daily – we were finally in the clear. It wasn't an easy path, and to be frank, I wasn't confident they went through all the vaccine testing stages they should have gone through, but it seemed to be working. Life was slowly, but surely returning to normal... as much as it could, given the fact our definition of normal had completely changed. Capacities of events, restaurants and bars were still at a maximum of 50%, but it was something. I was extremely excited for the next stage, in which they would allow concerts in smaller venues. Harry was excited too; I couldn't imagine what it must have been like for him, not setting foot on a stage in such a long time.

Whilst taking Bono out for his morning walk, my phone rang. It was my dad. We had talked a couple of weeks ago, just a regular catch-up and he seemed to be doing fine. They were keeping to the formula of half the company working from home, and half being in the office for alternating weeks.

"Hey dad, what's up?"

"Hello Estee. How are you?", he had that voice, the one he always had when he wanted me to do something I wouldn't like doing.

"I'm fine, thank you. What's up?", I persisted.

"Since everything has been returning to normal, slowly, the company has decided to throw their life achievement award ceremony this following weekend. You know, the one they had to postpone about four times?"

"I remember. What about it?", he was beating around the bushes and I had an inkling he was about to ask me to come photograph the event.

"Turns out that I'm getting the award this year and they've allowed me to invite one guest with a plus one.", I was not expecting that, but I didn't doubt for a second that he would be the recipient of that award one day.

"That's lovely dad! Congratulations. I'll be there.", he sent me the invitation via e-mail and I started looking forward to it.

Bono dragged my ass home, knowing that Harry would be waiting with his breakfast. That dog was more in love with Harry than anyone. I was going to say more in love with him than I was, but that wasn't possible. Memories of the person I was before I gave our relationship a shot made me snicker... that clueless girl had no idea how much love and happiness awaited behind that door.

"Guess what!", I slammed the door shut, beaming with excitement.

"What?"

"You have to guess Harry! It's not fun if you don't guess.", my fake pouts always got him to play along.

"Hmm... you saw a squirrel."

"That is the lamest guess ever. No. Actually, my dad called. He's receiving the life achievement award in his company and he invited us to the ceremony this Saturday!", Harry didn't mirror my excitement.

"That's nice! Are we going to go?"

"Of course. It's my dad. I know it isn't really an event we'd usually attend, but we haven't been out for ages and there will be drinks and at least some food.", I hung Bono's harness and leash at their spot beside the front door and poured myself a cup of coffee.

"And... will Matt also be there?", bingo, I knew there was something about this event that made him uneasy, but I couldn't tell what it was.

"I suppose he will if he still works there. Why?"

"You haven't seen him since the break-up. I just thought it might be awkward, is all.", that wasn't all, but there was no point in pushing with Harry. He'd tell me the whole story once he's given it a whirl over himself.