FORTY-SIX

Harry Styles: Late Night Talking

Essie

"I was being dumb. We need to talk.", normally that sentence would scare me, but I figured Ramona got through to him and he was ready to share with the class.

"Okay. Would you like a cup of coffee and to sit in the garden?", the garden was his pet project, through and through... he worked on the shed with Mitch when they had the time, even though they could've hired a contractor and had the shed sound-proof and ready to be used ages ago. He also watered his grass every night, and he pampered the sunflowers that were getting bigger and stronger by the day.

"Yeah, I'll let the dogs out and gather some supplies if you wouldn't mind brewing the coffee.", he wrapped his arms around my torso and left a soft kiss on my cheek, "Oh, and feel free to splash a bit of milk into mine as well... I don't feel like burning my mouth today.".

I wondered what he needed the supplies for, but as with everything Harry did – there was logic to it, so it'd be best to simply wait and see. I decided to make coffee in our big moka pot, because the taste of that coffee was supreme. And today we needed supreme.

"Shall we start?", Harry popped beside me on the garden sofa, releasing his supplies that consisted of blank sheets of paper, markers, sharpies and colourful pens, on the coffee table in front of us.

"I do get bored often, but I think I can manage to entertain myself without these toddler activities babe", cracking a joke was not the way to go, judging by how he looked at me.

"Essie, I'm serious about this. I don't know how we haven't already discussed all of this in great detail, because it's essentially the rest of our lives, but we must make our five-, ten- and fifteen-year plans.", Harry was very serious, which meant this was a big concern of his, but also that he though I was losing sleep over it too.

He pulled out one of the papers and wrote 'The Styles' Five-Year Plan', followed by the categories of career, life, children, holidays, housing. Then he turned to me, nudging me to begin.

"Oh, okay. Could you elaborate on these categories a bit, just so I know what falls under which?"

"It's quite simple, career refers to where we see ourselves heading in this time frame. So, for me that would mean the number of records I want to produce, any big milestones I want to hit, how long of a break I'd like in this period etc. The children one is pretty straightforward as well, but one we'll need to detail out the most. Do we want to have one or more, if more – when? Do they fit into our schedule and how we need to adjust our career paths to manage everything? Also, how do we preserve their privacy in our daily lives, how do we do it when they travel? Holidays means that we need to decide how to plan our free time – one big holiday per year, or multiple shorter ones? Tourist-type travel or rent a house somewhere secluded? Housing is the least of our concerns, at least for the first plan, because we renovated this house and I don't think we require more space right now.", I was out of breath just listening to him list out all of these things. He's definitely spent a lot of time thinking about this.

"How about I just shoot out some ideas and answers, and we go from there?", he nodded, "So, I obviously can't speak for you, but I'd like us to have some time off when we decide to have children. But I don't want our careers to stop, we're not stay-at-home people and we shouldn't plan to be. I want to focus more on my humanitarian series, which would require me to travel and shoot on remote locations for at least a year and a half, sporadically. After that, we'll see where the road takes me. I'm okay doing work in London, or in Europe, profiles for magazines, campaigns and things like that. Does that sound okay to you?".