Martyr

I have too many stories going on at once. What am I doing? Lol. Just ignore it, please and enjoy. lol. Vote. comment. Thanks.

Briella was surprised to see her father standing in the crowd of family and friends awaiting the arrival of their recent college graduate. She was surprised but also absolutely thrilled. He hadn't said he couldn't make it, but he also hadn't said he could. It was just how things were with daddy, you never knew if he would find the time for you or not.

"Daddy!" She wasn't ashamed that She screamed. She also gave zero fucks for the looks she was getting from others. She rushed the man not letting the cap, gown and dress she wore underneath slow her down, and he threw his arms out wide for me and she went straight into them. He wrapped his arms around her tightly and practically picked her up off her feet. His chuckle was deep and familiar, and she felt safe. Her daddy always smelled like the sweet tobacco of expensive cigars and crisp new money – her most favorite smell in the world.

"Look at my baby!" He plopped a kiss down on the top of her head. She felt like a little girl again, especially wrapped up in his arms, but I didn't care. "A fancy college grad."

She grinned and pulled away, looking up at him. His hazel eyes stuck at in an attention grabbing away against his dark skin. His locs were neatly in a loose ponytail and as perfect as usual, making her a bit envious and remember her failed attempt at the hairstyle herself.

"I thought you wouldn't make it." she said.

He returned my grin with one of his own and ruffled her recently straightened hair. She reared back and shot him a disbelieving scandalized look. He knew better than to mess up a black woman's hair! Though truthfully, she didn't mind. He always did that anyway. It used to bother her as a child, feeling as if he was petting me like she was a dog or something.

"Daddy!" she complained.

"You know I wouldn't miss this for the world. Its not everyday your kid graduates from college."

She raised an eyebrow at that. "You weren't there when Jay graduated." She pointed out.

He shrugged without an ounce of care. "I was busy that month over a year ago. Besides," He leaned closer to her to whisper, "you're my favorite. I wouldn't miss your big day." she just smiled. She knew that wasn't true. Neither her older brother nor herself were our father's favorite, the title belonged his youngest child, her half-sister. "Oh, there's your mother."

She could hear the absolute joy in his voice. If joy was synonymous for exasperation and annoyance. She followed his gaze to find her mother making her way through the crowd, thick dark Ray Bans covering most of the woman's small face.

"What are you doing here, Donte?" She snapped once in earshot. She ignored Briella completely as she stared up at her once lover with great disdain and hatred. Briella let out a breath quietly; she really hoped her mother didn't run her father away again.

"Really, Unique? What does it look like? I'm here to be there for my daughter who recently graduated from college. Why else would I be here?"

"Who knows," Unique's red painted lips twisted into something that showed her displeasure even more, "there's no tellin' with you. But I doubt it has anything to do with wanting to be here for Briella!"

Her father scoffed loudly.

"Momma," Briella interrupted. She could tell her mother was gearing up to say more and maybe even cause a scene. She was really sick of her parents not getting along. Her whole life she knew it was her mother's inability to co-parent like an adult was the reason she rarely saw her father. "Can we not do this here and now?" She didn't bother to glance around the outdoor field her graduation was taking part in, knowing her mother's loud voice had likely drawn the attention of quite of few people.