Chapter 27: Cassinda's warning.

Edited.

  I leaped into the science class.  I was late because someone had to poo.

   "Good morning ma'am". I said as I walked to my seat which was beside Santro.

  "You're late, young lady. Why?" She asked.

  I didn't reply until I sat down on my seat.

"Something came up and I had to attend to it".

  "I hope everything is alright?" She asked.

"Yes ma'am. Thanks for asking". I answered as I dropped my two bags on the floor.

  "You're welcome. How's your project going these days?" She asked both I and Santro.

"Fine"
"Fine". We both chorused.

"Do you mind sharing with the class what you've learnt so far?" She said.

  "Umm...". Santro said as he looked at me, asking me with his eyes if we should go talk about it. I didn't reply him.

   "Yes". He said on our behalf.

"Okay. Come up boa-"

"NO!" I replied almost immediately interrupting Mrs Smith from talking further.

  "Why? Are you uncomfortable or something?" He whispered to me.

  "Uncomfortable with you. Yes". I said loudly so that Michelle could hear. He looked at me strangely.

Santro I'm so sorry. I have to say this to protect myself. Besides, the project was supposed to be a secret.

  "Young lady, explain yourself".

"I'm not ready to speak on the project. End of story". I said loudly.

  "Okay. I wish you both good luck. Let's move on with the class, students". Mrs Smith said.

  "Delanie, did I offend you in anyway?" He asked me as he pulled closer to me.

  "No. Just stay away from me". I replied to him as I looked out the window. 

"Okay. Fine. If that's what you want". He said before retracting back to his seat.

     I looked at Michelle who gave me a thumbs up and smiled.

I looked away from her and said nothing more.

After science class, I carried my two bags and walked out, without waiting for Mrs Smith to walk out.

    I headed to the next class.

  "Delanie. Please wait". I heard Santro call. I refused to answer him and continue walk-leaping.

  "Delanie, please wait". I heard him call again as he seemed to be running. I ignored him and kept on walk-leaping, faster than before.

   "Delanie". He said as he held my hand tightly. I snatched my hand away from him, but he held me by my shoulders in a way I couldn't move forward. Our faces were one inch apart.

  "WHAT?!!" I yelled at him.

"What's wrong with you? What's going on?" He asked with his eyebrows scrunched up.

  "Why do you care?" I replied harshly. 

"You don't seem like yourself today. What happened?"

His voice sounded truly worried, which made it harder for me to turn him away.

   "Santro. Please, let go. I have a class to get to". I said calmly.

"Not until, you tell me what is going on".

" Nothing is going on, okay? And if anything was going on, you need to know that I don't need anyone to care for my problems. Now please let me go".

  "I thought we were in good terms. Why the sudden change of attitude?"

  His eyes bored into mine. I tried hard to resist it but I couldn't. 

"WE WERE NEVER FRIENDS, OKAY? NOW LET ME GO!". I yelled at him and he slowly let me go. I tried to read the expression on his face but it was blank.

  I wish I could let you know how sorry I am, Santro.

  I didn't look back at him as I walked away.

I hope he gets used to this treatment he gets from me. I'm not doing this because of me, I'm doing this because of the person I want to protect.

   I walked to the ladies restroom, my heart felt heavy somehow, for an unknown reason. I wanted to look back at him, but I controlled myself and didn't look back.

    As I opened the door of the restroom, I met some girls there, they seemed to be waiting for someone.

  I walked in gently but as soon as I walked in the door slammed shut. I looked back to see what happened and saw Michelle standing at the back of the door.

  I felt Tulip hold my blouse as they all raised eggs at me.

   "You said you wouldn't have conversation with that guy. What was he doing with you?" Michelle slurred each word,  as she blew her gum.

  "School work. Nothing else". I said.

    "Hold her down". Michelle ordered.

I saw two girls walk up to me and hold my hand to the back of my body. Then they pushed me to my knees. Another girl held my face, in such a way that I couldn't turn it.

Then, Michelle walked up to me and gave me three consecutive slaps with a flat metal plate. It stung as hell. I felt something flow out of my mouth.

   "I ask you again, what conversation was he having with you?" She said as she looked into my eyes.

  "School work. Nothing. Else."

She slapped me three times again. My vision started wavering.

  "Since you won't confess, someone wants to talk to you". She said, then walked away.

  Another girl walked up to me holding a phone. She brought the phone to my face and I saw the malicious face of Cassinda. She looked like she was on a beach.

  "Awww. Orphan has a bleeding and swollen face. I wonder how he'll talk to you when he sees your face like this. You should know that my eyes are everywhere in that school and no matter what you do, I'll always know about it. Stay away from my man. I don't like seeing him around you. What I asked them to do to you today is just a tip of the ice block. When next I see you with my man...MY MAN... I'LL MAKE YOU CURSE THE DAY YOU WERE BORN".

I heard her say but I couldn't see her well cause my vision was blurry.

"Throw the eggs at her". She ordered and they obeyed. Eggs broke on me, all over me.

Then, they released me, making me to fall on the floor. I saw them walk away. I couldn't do anything. My face was painful. I couldn't touch the sides of my face neither could I see well.

  I just sat there. I couldn't cry, I couldn't talk, I just sat there and did nothing.