Chapter Thirteen

"Is he really the guy-"

"He's fading on us.."

"Bring him into intensive.."

        Then, nothing.

        I woke up to the smell of chemicals, and a bunch of other smells. I couldn't smell your lavender. I felt someone's presence in the room.

"Where's Clay?"

        "Who?" A lady's voice filled the room. A nurse.

"Clay."

"Oh sweetie, you don't have to worry about him anymore. He's gone. You're safe. Your mom is on her way."

        I slept for a long time, but woke when I heard a pair of heels walking into the room. 

"Oh George, you're okay. It must have been terrible for you."

        I didn't recognize her sober. I couldn't take this. I had to shut my eyes. I wanted to wake up. I wanted to wake up with you, and the desert, and everything.

        Over the next couple of days, they asked me questions about you. They wanted to know if you raped me, if I was put in chains, if I was forced to do anything else that could put you in prison for even longer. I told the press what they wanted to hear. That you kidnapped me, and held me there. I didn't tell them about the person I knew you were. The one who painted, admired stars, and loved me.

        I was released from the hospital after a long time. A week or two. It caught me off guard. There was press everywhere. I was already kind of known from my videos, but now the entire world knew who I was. I was making headlines, and the press followed me all the way home.

        I decided to stay with my mom for a while until I felt safe enough to go outside. Social media hit me the hardest. No one could believe that the best friends who made videos and streams together and inspired children could be in a situation like this. Especially the fact that you kidnapped me. You surprised the world. Everyone thought you were perfect. 

        Most comments said things like "so that's why Dream never did a face reveal, he is a psychopath". They all made me laugh, as I knew you weren't anything like the monster everyone was criminalizing. I stopped making videos, by the way. It was too much.

        My mom was worried for a while, because outside of the press, I didn't make you seem like a monster. She made me see a therapist: Dr. Jack Heart. He thought I was pretty messed up, which I suppose I was.

        You were the reason my life was different. You were the reason I couldn't record anymore, I had to avoid social media, the reason our friend group fell apart. I hated you. But I will never forget it all. It was life changing, definitely. But it gave me an experience I wouldn't take back.

        It's only going to get harder from here for a while.

        That's why I decided to write this letter for you.

        To try and make sense of it all.

        To let you know how you changed my life.

Total Word Count: 516