Chapter 8: Courtyard

(Sophie POV)

The bell rang. Students scooched their chairs back and gathered their textbooks. I left the classroom trying to avoid all of the boys who like me. "Sophie! Hey Sophie! Are you free this afternoon?" Daren shouted from across the hall. I pretended not to hear him. Jensi waved as he walked by. Zack and Owen stared. By the time I reached the front door, I was beet red and sweaty. I stepped out into the front courtyard and looked around for Grady and Edaline. Suddenly, a pink booted foot stuck out from the crowd and tripped me head first. Luckily, two pairs of skinny arms caught me by the shoulders. I blew a strand of blonde hair from my face and looked up. "Woah there, Sophie! You okay?" asked Dex, looking flushed. "Oh. Yeah, thanks Dex," I respond, smoothing my skirt. "Stupid Stina." We huff simultaneously.

Dex and I have been best friends since kindergarten. We're also sort of cousins, but we think of each other as friends. He had a crush on me in middle school, but he got over it. I'm glad. He has short strawberry blonde hair and the most perfect dimples. His periwinkle eyes sparkle every time he comes up with a new idea. Stina? We've been enemies ever since she found out about Fitz and I. She has wide eyes and chocolate brown locks. My ugly thoughts about Stina were interrupted as I caught a glimpse of a familiar face. I choked and my ears burned. Dex looked at me with concerned eyes. "What's wrong?" he asked. "N-nothing. Don't worry about it," I replied. He bit his bottom lip and reluctantly nodded. Why is HE here?! Does he go here? Oh my gosh I think he goes to my school. Ugh! He starts getting closer. I can tell me means to talk to me, but he tries to hide it. I look around, also pretending to not notice the other. "Hey." the blond boy said. I whip around in fake shock. "Hey! Um, I didn't know you went here too!" I chuckled nervously. "Actually I don't. You probably think I'm creepy, but umm... do you... are you... are you free tonight?" he asked. I tug at my eyelashes. "Oh! Yeah, I am. Why?" He blushes. "No reason. I was just wondering if maybe you wanted to go to the park or something," I nod. "Sounds good!" We walk our separate ways. My heart is beating fast, and I'm probably very red.