Reader X Britain oneshot - It's Not Just Make Believe [Kari Kimmel]

You yawned and stretched, waving to the mailman as you stood on your porch. You had a weird thing about mail. It was special that people worked so hard just to make sure you got all of your messages. You skipped down to the mailbox, quickly retrieving your mail and flipping through it as you walked up to your house, pausing on a letter from your longtime crush, Arthur Kirkland.

The other mail was dumped on the ground as you scrambled for a letter opener, ending up just tearing it open like a savage. Your breath caught in your throat as you read the letter.

"Y/N, I... It's hard to write, sorry... I know telling you by mail is cowardly, but... I love you. There, I said it. Well, technically I wrote it but you get what I mean, because you're as smart as you are beautiful. I've wanted to tell you for so long, y/n, it's a beautiful feeling to get it out. I love you. You're wonderful. If you don't feel the same way... I don't know what I'd do, other than doing my best to earn your love, my princess.
                                                                                                        -Love and adoration, Arthur Kirkland." 

You started hyperventilating, a grin spreading across your face. You threw open the door, still in your pajamas, and sprinted down the street, making a beeline for his house. You arrived, panting, at his front door and knocked, the suond loud ni the still early morning. The door was opened by a sleepy Arthur.

"Shut up, Mint, someone's at the door... Who's... oh!" He flushed as you held up the letter, eyes wide. He stammered out an excuse as you started to shake your head.

"I-- I didn't write that, it was--" You cut him off, flinging your arms around him quickly.

"This is the most perfect thing you could've done, Arthur. I love you!" You could hear his gasp of relief, his arms going around you as you pulled away to look at him, your E/C eyes wide as you looked at each other a moment, both of you grinning your heads off. 

"I guess true love doesn't hurt when you fall... Who were you talking to?" He frowned at the sudden ADD-type question, looking down. "It's, uh... Minty?" You looked up as a chubby bunny of a lovely mint color with wings flew around the corner, landing on Arthur's head clumsily. He grimaced at you, thinking you couldn't see the little creature.

"I was talking to Mint.. I guess he's kind of an make-believe friend..." You shook your head, reaching up and patting his small minty friend.

"No, it's not make-believe, it's real..." You glanced at him, face lighting up.

"I guess we can be crazy people together! got any more friends around here?" He smiled, green eyes sparkling.

"Of course, and I'm sure they'll just love their new princess." You had no words for the pure adoration you felt, so you did the next best thing.

You leaned the short distance and kissed him, a perfect, chaste kiss, leaving both of you breathless. You glanced over your shoulder at a wolf whistle and discovered your audience, a host of magical creatures who surrounded you and Arthur.

"Prince Arthur, the princess accepts?!" You raised an eyebrow at him as a blue bird dropped a flower crown on your head. "Prince?" He laughed nervously, grin still in place. "I have interesting friends..." You hummed, glancing at yourself in the mirror, assessing the flower crown. He held his breath as you turned to him with a thoughtful look.

"I guess I could get used to it." He sighed, laughing as he put an arm around your waist, tipping his forehead to yours gently.

"Then the princess should meet her kingdom, yes? After all, they've waited as long as I have for you, love." You took his hand and turned to the small crowd of creatures. He waved a hand, smiling at you.

"May I introduce your princess and the love of my life... Y/N."