A Fighter's Love - Chapter 4

Here's the next chapter! Sorry it took so long but I currently have two other books that I'm writing so it's been pretty hectic for me. Thankfully, I found some time to write another chapter for this one! Hope you enjoy! MERRY CHRISTMAS IF YOU CELEBRATE IT!

(Sorry for any errors! Camille on the side!)

**************************************************************************

A Fighter's Love - Chapter 4

          I blinked against the harsh light and stared up at my mother. My heart was beating so fast at the sight of her, I was sure that it was going to pop out of my chest any minute now. I had never been more scared of my mom in my life.  Instead of cowering underneath the covers and shielding myself from her forceful glare like I wanted to, I twisted my mouth into a careless smile and sneered, “You finally heard, huh?”

            “How could you, Camille? That girl could have died! You’re lucky her parents don’t want to press charges against you. As soon as I heard, I canceled my shift at the hospital and came right home.”

            “Barbie Doll doesn’t want to press charges?” I asked in confusion.

            “No. Talia and her parents don’t want the publicity or media attention. They think it would make them look bad,” she answered, emphasizing on the girl’s name.

            “Sweet.” I grinned and fell back onto the plush bed. I had managed to teach the girl a lesson and get away with the evil deed. Life was just getting better and better by the second. Well, there was the issue of what my punishment from the school would be but I wasn’t worrying too much about that. The heavy donations from my mom kept them quiet and me from getting kicked out.

            “Camille! This is a serious matter and you’re taking it too lightly,” my mother fumed, her face a dangerous shade of red.

            “Seriously, mother, you need to relax before you pop a vein. Think of it as a blessing from God. He’s letting us go.” I grabbed my phone and quickly texted Crystal, asking her if she was okay. I ignored the small voice at the back of my head that told me Crystal probably didn’t want to talk to me by the way I had blatantly been rude to her back at school. As soon I hit send, my phone was ripped from my grasp. Angrily, I glowered at my mother who had already tucked it away into the pocket of her robe.

            “Give it back,” I ordered through gritted teeth.

            “Not until you have some respect for me.” Oh, like that was ever going to happen. She had lost my respect a long time ago when she started ignoring the one and only family she had left. You would think that after everything we went through, she would be more attached and protective over me. But, no. Suddenly, Crystal’s idea of running away didn’t seem like a bad idea. Maybe mommy dear really did need a nice old splash of reality when she realized that she was finally alone.

            “Don’t count on it,” I mumbled under my breath. She studied my face for a couple minutes and then sighed like she was tired. Tired from what? Lecturing me?

It was then that I noticed the tiny wrinkles forming at the corners of her eyes and the area around her mouth. It hadn’t occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, they were signs of stress. Either that or she was getting old. My mother had my brother when she was pretty young—just a couple years older than me— so that meant I was born when she was about 22. Imagine having two kids when you were barely getting used to be an adult. And on top of that, she had just been starting med school. I knew my father helped her out as best as he could but it was clear that it hadn’t been enough.