A Fighter's Love - Chapter 5

No commentary for me today except that I tried to make this longer than usual to make up for the  wait. Enjoy!

(Sorry for any errors! Camille on the side!)

*******************************************************************

A Fighter's Love - Chapter 5

“Pass the salad, please,” my mother ordered. I handed her what she wanted and went back to picking at my pasta. The atmosphere between my mom and I was tense, to say the least, and now I was being forced to sit down for dinner with her. She should just be happy that I followed her rules and hadn’t snuck out like I wanted to.

“So… how’s work?” I asked, trying to break the ice.

“It’s good,” she replied shortly. I took a deep breath and loudly pushed back the chair to notify her of my exit. I couldn’t take this awkwardness anymore.

“Okay, well I have homework to do.” She didn’t look like she believed me for a second and she was right; I never did my homework, so why start now? I threw the leftover pasta into the garbage and rinsed off my plate before flinging myself up the stairs so she couldn’t call me back. Not that she was going to. I had the feeling she was as uncomfortable as me when it came to “family dinnertime”. It was Saturday— the perfect night to go out— but I resisted. I ignored Crystal’s texts, no doubt telling me about all the parties and bonfires I was going to be missing out on. But it was okay. I didn’t want a repeat of the last party.

Instead, I changed into my night clothes and brushed any remains of pasta from my teeth. I was fluffing my pillow when I heard a pound against my window. I froze and listened again.

A few seconds later it came again. What the hell was that? Slowly, carefully, I slithered to the window and peeked out. A small pebble hitting the window made me yelp and jump back in surprise.

“What in the world…” I muttered. I opened the window and stuck my head out into the cold night, peering down at the ground.

What I saw made me smile.

Matt was standing on the ground with his hands shoved into his pockets and a tote bag slung across his shoulders.

I grinned and whispered, “What are you doing here?” I only saw him once this past week before he was whisked away onto a bus for an away game.

“I came to see my favorite person in the world.” A slow grin etched its way onto his face and it was amazing how I could see his blue eyes from here. I gestured for him to come up even though it wouldn’t be easy since my room was on the second floor. But there was a long water pipe that snaked down my house with thick vines surrounding it. Let’s just say this wasn’t the first time he had snuck into my room at night. I watched as he climbed it, wincing every once in a while when I heard a groaning in the pipes.

After what seemed like eternity, Matt softly jumped onto my bedroom floor and engulfed me in his arms. I breathed in his woodsy scent and rested my head onto his chest.

“Hey baby,” I whispered when we pulled away. I lightly shoved him towards my bed and chuckled when his smile grew impossibly bigger. He knew what was going to happen next. I straddled him and shimmied out of my shirt before throwing it off to the side.

“You are so beautiful,” Matt murmured as he drank me in. I gave a wry smile and shut him up with kisses. Thank God my mom was still downstairs and my walls were sound-proof otherwise we would have gotten into a whole lot of trouble.

***

The next morning, Matt and I stayed in bed after hearing my mom’s car leave the house at six ‘o’clock. I snuggled closer to him and kissed his lips gently. He retaliated by climbing on top of me and covering my neck with hickeys. I shoved him off me when I realized that we were getting late for school and quickly showered before doing my usual morning routine.