Chapter Three

S2E3: The Pollywog

The next morning, Jace woke up to a bright light, shimmering on to his face. He sat up, rubbing his eyes. The bedroom door was swung open to reveal Steve Harrington, fully clothed and brushing his hair.

"Alright come on J, we need to get to school. I have an apple downstairs for your breakfast, chop chop." he explained with a shrug. Jace chuckled, hopping out of bed as he grabbed the extra clothing from his backpack.

"That would be great Steve, I'll be ready in about 5 minutes." he said before Steve exited the room, and down to the garage where he started up his car.

Jace quickly slipped on his clothes along with his shoes and swung his backpack on his back while hurrying down the flight of stairs. While on the way to the car, Jace swooped up a red apple on the counter and took a small bite, entering the garage and soon into the passengers seat of the Harringtons car. Steve smiled, slipping on his sunglasses as they pulled out of the driveway and towards Hawkins Middle and High.

"So J. Have your eyes on a special girl yet?" Steve asked.

Jace felt his cheeks heat up. "Wha- What do you mean I-" Steve snorted looking over at him.

"So there is a girl. Whats her name then?" Steve asked with a smile.

Jace rolled his eyes, "Well yeah, I guess there is one girl. It's just- I don't know." he explained with a bit of embarrassment.

Steve shook his head, "Well, tell me about her, we don't have to hide secrets anymore. We both need to be more open, yeah?"

Jace nodded taking a deep breath. "Well, her name is Max. She's new here with that douchebag Billy." Steve scoffed thinking of Billy Hargrove, his new enemy. Jace shook his head knowing exactly what he was thinking, "She's nothing like him though. She's different than all the other girls you know? Like, when I'm around her, my heart beats out of my chest, my words start to scramble up and my stomach is filled with butterflies." Jace explained with a bright smile creeping up on his face as he stared out the window. "She makes me really happy, Steve," He said as they pulled into the Hawkins High School parking lot.

Steve took off his sunglasses and put a hand on Jace's shoulder with a bright smile. "My dear brother, you've got it bad." He said patting his back. "All I can really say is, don't fake anything kid. Be yourself. If she can't love you for you then she isn't a keeper alright?" Jace nodded with a weak smile as he opened the door and walked across the parking lot and into Hawkins Middle School.

While on his way into the school, he took another bite of the apple, before throwing the core into the garbage can. When he turned back around Jace smiled brightly seeing none other than the girl he was just gushing over.

"Hey Mayfield, fancy seeing you here." he said jokingly, receiving a playful push from the girl.

"Fancy seeing you here too dimples. Wanna walk me to class? I have a question before class starts."

Jace smiled, not thinking anything of the mysterious question, he was too busy starring into her bright blue eyes. Jace just nodded and took the girls left side as they walked around outside.

"Just like that, he was gone. Never saw him again, easy peasy right?"

"Easy peasy, just like that." Max said, but still had a confused look on her face.

While walking outside it was revealed to Jace that Max's question was about Will the other night and why he totally freaked out from those kids. Jace didn't want Max to get involved with their dangerous shit so he used the story that everyone in Hawkins was told, how Will accidentally got lost in the woods.