Chapter 20 - A Year Closing

Start from the beginning

"I promise you, we are good."

"Of course you are, sweetie. Anyway, I'm sorry, but they already left. They were going to let everyone sleep in, but Micheal woke up early and said the others could sleep in the car. Last I heard, they were making great time. They are already past Portland and it's just been over five hours. I think they stopped for some food once everyone woke up. I'm glad Lily was able to come. I know Micheal has been trying to get her to come for weeks now, bless him. Now, what is it that you needed?"

Alice manages to hide her surprise better than Emmett. "I'm glad to hear that. I'm afraid Lily left her phone charger. We were hoping to catch them before they left." Alice lies quickly.

"Aren't you a great sister! Next time they call, I'll tell everyone you stopped by. I'm sure she'll be able to charge it when they get to the hotel. I think they are planning on driving straight through. The weather is supposed to be lovely. It will be good for them to travel for a bit before all the summer tourists come in."

"Thanks, Mrs. Roberts. Have a good day."

The two Cullens reentered their car. "Well, she seems nice." Emmett chuckles slightly.

"Lily always says she can be a bit much. A bit too religious for my taste, but at least she knows where they are. I can't believe her! Carlisle and Esme said she couldn't go. Why in the world did she think this was a good idea."

"Easy there shortstack. We both know what went down last night. I doubt she was thinking clearly." This comment earned a glare from Alice. "Doesn't mean it wasn't a dumb decision," Emmett amended quickly.

The rest of the ride was quiet as they prepared to tell their family the news.

The reactions were predictable. The new information caused Rosalie to explode again, yelling at the adults for letting the sixteen-year-old run away with a guy. Carlisle tries to calmly remind the blonde vampire that Micheal had been her friend for years and he hadn't tried anything with the girl. Carlisle had always found their friendship odd, but had met the boy once and realized rather quickly that nothing would come of it. While the rest of the family, besides Esme, thought Lily wasn't allowed to go on the trip because Micheal was a guy, it was really because he was afraid to lose control over his youngest daughter. After the events of this year, he remembered how fragile humans were. San Francisco was bound to be sunny this time of year. None of the other Cullens would be able to tag along and watch over them. While he was angry about Lily disregarding his earlier ruling, he wanted to defend his daughter. He knew Rosalie had acted out of line yesterday, but Esme refused to tell him what happened yesterday. He wasn't blind. He knew there was some tension between the two blonde girls, but they both refused to act on it. Esme was of the belief that neither had realized it yet. Carlisle, on the other hand, thought the opposite. He believed that one or not both of the girls were aware of the fact and purposely ignoring what that meant for them. No matter what they thought, the two decided to let the girls work it out themselves. Seeing how things turned out, maybe they should have intervened more.

____________________________________________________________________

*meanwhile*

Lily vaguely remembers showing up at Micheal's house with a bag of clothes in her prom dress in the early hours of the morning. She remembers being let in without any questions and then falling back asleep only to be moved into a car a couple of hours later. Now, even her eyes opened she was met with the sun blazing into her eyes making her let out a little groan. She hears a chuckle beside her and reaches out to hit the offender's arm.

"Well, aren't you sleeping beauty?"

"Shut up, Micheal. I thought you were supposed to be driving."