Peter didn't notice the absence of his prey because his gaze was fixed on me and he was looking at me with a mischievous grin. I smirked and relaxed a little bit when the other person disappeared completely into the dark.

"And what if he is already gone? " I smirked wider.

He glanced back and then looked at me, he took a second glance and shook his head in slow motion.

"You just don't know what you're playing with" he seethed with anger

"Oh really, I thought I was dealing with a cowardly guy who took advantage of others" I spat out at him. Someone get my will done already.

"You just brought it on. Don't blame me afterwards" he said mischievously and started moving towards me.

"Bring it on" I replied and assumed a defensive stance again. Okay now I'm dead meat.

Now Peter was closer to me and we were facing each other while moving in a circular motion waiting for the starting move.
Apparently, he got tired of the circling and lounged himself at me with the knife still intact in his right hand. My reflexes kicked in and I dodged him by moving slightly on my right heel to my left.

Peter fell on the ground with a heavy oomph. I stood not far from him ready to attack or defend myself. Slowly he got onto his feet and threw stray launching blows at me which I effortlessly blocked and counterattacked with heavy punches of my own. His punches were sloppy and miscalculated for such a big guy not that I'm complaining but I expected a little challenge.

Hmm, this was going to be much more easier than I thought.

I gave Peter a solid heavy punch in his stomach which made him fall back down onto the ground clutching his stomach and grunting in pain.

"You will fucking pay for this" he groaned

"Yeah after you get your pathetic self from ground and catch me before I disappear" I mocked him and started running. Oh God, when did I get so courageous?

I looked back over my shoulder and saw him get up, chasing after me.

"And good luck catching me" I laughed and sprinted even faster.

Okay yeah, I know I have to clear something here. After Dad left for the first time leaving me with my mom as Tye was in some boarding school quite far away from home,  Mom helped choose some activities to do, ' to blow off some steam', she had said.

She said it was going to help me forget all my bad memories and seven year old me listened to my mother and started doing athletics and martial arts. I had always been fascinated by these two and doing them gave me such joy and freedom that I never understood back then with my little brain. And when mom added singing to me every night after my ordeals in training I always felt ecstatic. Eventually I became a good runner and earned a black belt in martial arts around you know, just as I was about to start high school.

So don't blame me for earlier, I really had the confidence that I could win but our nerves are made for a reason. I heard the faint thuds Peter made with his feet as they stomped on the ground to catch me and I chuckled. That meat head really thought he was gonna catch up. Even if I wasn't good at running he still wouldn't be able to. His bulky stature would prevent that and I being less bulkier and skinny would be carried on by the wind.

"Hurray to the wind!" I shouted and raised my arms somehow managing to increase my pace.

I heard Peter cursing loudly as the distance between us grew and I could make out the silhouette of my house in the distance. I ran faster and faster till I was just a few steps away from my house and then I got an idea. I decided to stop and taunt Peter for a bit but when I turned to him he had already stopped with his palms on his knees breathing heavily.

"I swear I will break you apart when I finally get you. Just pray you never fall into my trap" he said through clenched jaws and disappeared into the darkness.

Now that was no empty threat but I wasn't scared as now I knew I could easily outmatch him. On second thoughts too, I braced myself for the inevitable just in case my bad luck watch strikes twelve again as my life always takes a drastic turn into the bad side of karma whenever I needed some peace.

I jogged to the porch of my house and laid down. The running had taken a toll on me and I was almost down with heat and the erratic beating of my heart was no way helping. However, the gentle breeze that swept elegantly on me now and then as I laid there comforted and helped relax me.

I laughed a little since it had been so long when I got such a nice and entertaining adventure, not that I was going to do that again. I will never come out again during times like these. I will just sit by my windowsill if I wanted some fresh air. Once bitten,twice shy.

I went inside quietly after laying on the porch long enough. I went straight to the showers and freshened up changing into new clothes and laying down gently on my makeshift bed.

Just then, a gentle breeze blew in through my opened windows and washed over me as if it was soothing me whiles enveloping me in its calming warmth. It disappeared as quickly as it came in and I looked over to the window and smiled; at least tonight was playing out well in my favor. I recalled Peter and how he seemed almost pathetic during our little encounter that I laughed again, then suddenly his last words hit me.

I hurried and closed my window and laid down again on the bed and smiled.

Wow, I think I had smiled and laughed in the last few moments than I had actually done in almost seven years because of something I had done alone.

I closed my eyes with a smile still on my lips as sleep enveloped me with its darkness but this time, I was free. There were no nightmares,no chasing and no screaming as I slept peacefully  for the first time in nine  years.