“Right, well, you keep being creepy, and I'll just go do my job like I'm supposed to,” I said, nodding before starting off again.

“Didn't you use to wear a necklace all the time?” he asked, ignoring my statement. I paused, looking back at him.

“Uh, yes I did.. Why?” I replied slowly. I did, in fact, wear a necklace almost daily. The catch was that this was back before I had originally left Berk. I was a tad taken by surprise that he had remembered. He only shook his head with a shrug.

“Just asking.” He waved suddenly, and turned away. I watched him head back down the way he'd come, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion before beginning to walk once more.

---

“Tell your mother I said thank you!” Helga waved as I stepped outside her home.

“I will,” I assured her, waving back before walking away. I had made it a couple minutes down the path before I caught sight of Hiccup's home. I glanced around before deciding to head over.

I knocked on the door once I reached it, waiting patiently. I knew Stoick wouldn't be home at this time, but I didn't know where Hiccup had gone off to. There wasn't a response, so I glanced aside before opening the door.

“Hiccup?” I called out, stepping inside slowly. There didn't seem to be anyone home, but I could see a light from upstairs. I closed the door behind me, taking a deep breath before heading up the steps, repeating his name.

“This is probably not a nice thing to be doing,” I thought aloud to myself. His room was indeed empty, and I was going to head back downstairs to leave when something caught my eye by the bottom of his bed. I turned back around, narrowing my eyes before I realized there was some sort of book beneath the bed, a corner sticking out. I instinctively looked behind me before walking over, kneeling down and pulling on the corner.

A rather large book slid out, with a carved dragon shape on the front. It seemed to be made of a sturdy material, possibly leather, and I noted it was quite thick as well. I traced the motif on the cover lightly, tilting my head. I could just barely recall a memory of this book, and it was obviously somewhat related to dragons. I exhaled through my nose, deciding to open it. There were pages and pages of writing and sketches, various species of dragons and statistics scattered around in an overwhelming manner.

“Found the Book of Dragons, huh?”

I jumped, jerking my head to look behind me as Hiccup spoke. My mouth parted to reply but I couldn't think of anything to say. I hadn't heard any sign of him entering, though I wasn't really paying attention either.

“Don't worry, it's alright. I was actually planning on showing you it anyway,” he shrugged, smiling softly. I bit my lip, huffing a laugh.

“Sorry for snooping,” I said, regardless of his assurance.

“I told you, it's okay. Well, this time,” he added playfully, taking a seat on the floor beside me.

“I thought you were going off with Toothless?” I asked, returning my focus to the book.

“Eh, I changed my mind. Besides, I can't find him, so..” he laughed quietly, scratching his face for a second. I smiled absentmindedly before continuing to read, coming across the Night Fury page.

“Is that you?” I asked, gesturing to the writing. I recognized the penmanship, and he nodded.

“They didn't really know anything about Night Furies back then, so I took it upon myself to add the information,” he explained.

“And that, and those.. Basically everything after Night Furies was me,” he chuckled, pointing to each addition as I turned a few pages. I grinned, looking at him.

“You really know your stuff, don't you?” I said. He made a vague noise before smiling back.

“Sort of,” he shrugged again.

“Also, just a random thought, but you're not planning on stealing that and disappearing off to another island, are you?” he asked a couple moments later. I looked at him, confused. He only laughed under his breath, shaking his head.

“Ignore me,” he said.

“Hm?” I said playfully, glancing at him as if I hadn't been listening.

“Is that how it's going to be?” he joked in disbelief, side eying me before nudging my shoulder with his. When I turned to say something, he was staring intently at the book. I raised my eyebrows before nudging him back, dropping my eyes quickly as soon as he turned his head. I heard him chuckle breathlessly before I tried to keep reading, smiling gently. I did enjoy things like exploring the island with Hiccup, but simple moments like this were just as good, if not better. The only problem with them was the fact I was growing more and more attached with each one, and I knew it would end up going terribly. I just wasn't sure if I cared enough about the results to stop.