A Family to Belong To.

Start from the beginning

My eyelids felt heavy and drooped and every limb of my body felt sore. Though I had multiple blankets over me, my skin felt cold, a film of sweat covering me.

I heard soft voice in the room but my head was pounding and my ears were ringing.

Finally willing my eyes to open hazily, I waiting for them to adjust before I tried to focus on the people in the room.

I noticed the healers and widwives were talking in their group on the other side of the room but I wasn't focused on them.

Both Thranduil and Gimli were sat on chairs by the bed. Legolas was sat beside me on the bed, holding a little bundle in his arms. They all seemed to be crying, wide smiles as well.

My eyes lit up as Legolas softly rocked the bundle of blankets in his arms and  raised his finger to it. From the blankets, a little hand lifted from the folds and cling to his finger, making Legolas chuckle and smile even broader.

Pushing myself up, the others finally noticed I was awake.

"You need to rest," one of the healers cautioned me but I ignored them.

Legolas wrapped an arm around my shoulder and helped me sit up. When I did, I looked down at the bundle and I too melted into a smile as I found myself looking at our adorable baby.

"It's a girl," Legolas cooed as he kissed me on the forehead, wrapped an arm around me and held her out for me to hold.

The second I felt her in my arms, I forgot the pain I was just in, as though the agony of the day's events had been completed erased as all that was left was joy as Legolas cuddled me close, our little daughter in our arms.

Tears ran down my cheeks now, not of pain like before, these were tears of joy.

"Have you a name for the babe?" Gimli inquired as he watched with a broad smile.

"Gemstone." I cooed, letting the little baby grab my hand playfully.

"A unique name I'm sure," Thranduil smiled, "But I never took you for a traditionalist anyway."

"My father named me after a gemstone, a sapphire of all things. It seemed like a fitting name in itself, Gemstone," I echoed, softly placing a kiss on our daughter's head.

Ever since I had married Legolas, Motherhood had been a scary thing looming over me. I could never have imagined myself a mother. Me, with responsibility?

Yet I was filled with such a raw happiness at that moment I could almost excuse all the pain I had endured in birthing her. It was worth it to see her little smile and feel her little hands cling onto me.

Thranduil and Gimli stayed by my side all night, talking about baby Gemstone. Thranduil had insisted on a hug, rocking her and cuddling her. Gone was his kingly facade and out came the parent in him. Me and Legolas watched happily as the King seemed to beam at his granddaughter.

Gimli was much the same. Though he was old any graying, his prime well behind him, he seemed to have more energy than ever. His old eyes seemed to sparkle as he held Gemstone in his arms as well.

***

For the next few months, Gemstone's birth was the only thing everybody in Mirkwood seemed to talk about. Everyone was extending gifts to us which we graciously accepted.

It wasn't long before I was up and out of bed and back to my old self again. I grew stronger by the day and I was content in the knowledge that I was back to my former glory.

Legolas was overjoyed whenever he held his little daughter, as though he was still in disbelief and to be honest, sometimes even I thought this was all a dream.

Thranduil was a great help. Though he had been a father over three thousand years ago, it seemed it wasn't a wasted talent on him.

As for Gimli, he seemed to have a rather happy glow about him whenever he held Gemstone. Though he was old and close to dying of old age, he seemed to de-age whenever he held Gemstone. He had a spring in his step, a glint in his eye and a smile on his lips.

However, after a few months of blissful happiness, Gimli reluctantly resumed talks about leaving for Valinor. He had refused to leave when he learned of my pregnancy but now he had been able to live long enough to meet Gemstone, he felt content in leaving for the undying lands.

I promised him that as Gemstone grows up, me and Legolas would tell her stories of her uncle Gimli. After all, we still had the book Merry and Pippin had given us, with all the different stories of our friends.

Suffice to stay, when Gimli had set out with the party of elves we had told to escort him to Valinor, me and Legolas had cried. Gimli had been the closest thing to a brother me and Legolas had ever had and so to have us part ways for good was heartbreaking for us.

"Goodbye my old friends," Gimli had sighed, "If this is to be our last conversation, let it be known my love for you both can never be tainted,"

We pulled him in for a hug and didn't part untill a few minutes later. Neither of us could come up with a jest or sly remark to lighten the mood but we were at least content in the knowledge that Gimli would spend his last days peacefully in the Undying Lands.

"If you should see Mother Galadriel," I started, holding up Gemstone for Gimli to have his last hug, "Tell her about Gemstone for me."

"I'm sure she will be overjoyed for you, I know I am. Goodbye my friends." Gimli sighed again, running a hand through his silver grey hair.

"Goodbye my brother," I smiled, waving him off as he and the elven party trotted off into the forest of Mirkwood, heading to the sea where a ship would be waiting to sail them to Valinor.

***

Though motherhood had struck me hard the first time with Gemstone, it wasn't another fifty years until I found myself with child again.

Unlike the first time, I at least knew what was coming and what was in store for the next nine months.

Same as before, the birthing had been painful but this time, I managed to stay mostly awake for it so I didn't immediately black out from the agony of giving birth.

Thus our first son, Amethyst, was born.

To my surprise (and everyone else in Mirkwood) another forty years passed before I fell pregnant for the third and final time.

At first, with Gemstone, it had been hard to adjust life to fit around a child but now it had become second nature to me. So when we were told I was pregnant yet again, I wasn't so distressed as the previous times.

We were gifted with another baby girl, our little Jewel.

Fatherhood came quite easily to Legolas, he was always the first to the crib whenever they were in distress and was always playing with them and reading to them.

As I had never had the most normal of childhoods, I was greatfull for both Legolas' and Thranduil's support.

I had a family I belonged to. A father-in-law who helped me where he could. A husband always quick to put a smile on my face. Gemstone, my first born, a beautiful young elleth with long blonde hair just like her father. Amethyst, our only son, his hair stark white like my own. And Jewel, our youngest daughter, her hair curly blond with faint whisps of ginger entwined with it, presumably something she might had inherited from my blood parents.

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts and feedback.

Sorry for the huge exposition dump at the end but, yay, surprise, they have 3 kids now.

The reason I did them all at once is because I didn't want the next few chapters to be just a rinse and repeat.

Also, what do you think of Gemstone, Amethyst and Jewel?