November: The Star Wars Suite on Bonfire Night

The cold November air nipped at their noses as John William's Star Wars Suite blared out from a huge PA system and the fireworks, timed to multicoloured perfection, exploded against the night sky high above them. Wrapped up securely in hats and gloves and warm coats, Draco stood behind Harry, slightly offset. His chest was pushed up against Harry's shoulder and arm, his chin resting on his shoulder, and his hands gripping Harry's hips, as his fingers tapped against one of Harry's hips in time to the music. Teddy was in Harry's arms, sitting on his hip and clinging on tightly but absolutely enthralled by the vivid lights and the immense bangs as they watched the display on the playing field of the muggle pre-school and primary school which Teddy attended. Occasionally, his hands would shoot up to cover his ears if there was a particularly loud firework. The school had chosen to theme the evening to Star Wars and lots of kids were dressed up as characters from the movies and waving plastic Lightsabres around. Harry was almost inclined to think they should have brought Hagrid with them disguised as Chewbacca.

As the 'Imperial March' played, Harry felt Draco's arms tighten around him. 'Who knew?' he said in his ear.

'What?'

'That muggles could rival wizardry, this is magical.'

'You should know what muggles are capable of, with all your studying of muggle artists...'

'I know,' he said, the wonder clear in his voice. 'But sometimes my upbringing means I haven't experienced or appreciated stuff like this. Can you imagine my father even deigning to set foot in a muggle school?'

'So how were you schooled before Hogwarts?'

'I was home schooled.'

'Merlin! It must have been a culture shock to come to Hogwarts!'

'Harrryyy!' whined Teddy, 'you're missing the pretty lights.'

'Sorry, Pup.'

The crowd aw-ed and ee-ed as a series of green and purple fireworks crackled and fizzled high above them.

'How does Teddy's little school even get to put on a display like this?' Draco asked, his breath warm against Harry's neck and sending shivers down Harry's spine.

'One of the dads owns a big firework company, they do it at cost as a fundraiser...'

'Next year we're bringing George, he should set up a side-line, can you imagine this at Hogwarts with Weasley fireworks. It would blow people away.'

Harry smiled at the thought.

It was good to let go after the past week, to feel Draco's arms around him. It was immensely comforting. Teddy was staying with Harry for the weekend and the young boy was delighted that his two favourite 'uncles' were taking him to his school fireworks while Granny had a welcomed break. It felt wonderful to Harry that, for the first time, they were able to go out in public as a couple, albeit in the muggle world away from the prying eyes of the Wizarding press. The Prophet, in particular, didn't want to seem to let up on speculating about their relationship, especially as they were spotted leaving the Halloween Ball early together.

Harry and Draco had, unfortunately, already received one or two aghast stares (from adults rather than children), but this was a small and conservative village community in the muggle world; overt homosexuality was rare and not so well accepted as in the wizarding world despite the moves towards inclusivity. Draco had stuck his nose in the air and proceeded to ignore any muttered comments and Harry followed suit despite his irritation, though he did cast a discreet Disillusionment Charm around them after one particularly obnoxious mother started mouthing off loudly in ear-shot of Teddy. Harry was also fairly certain that Draco sent a Repeating Jelly-Legs Hex her way because he heard several of the other mothers gossiping about how Mrs Booth kept staggering about and falling over and how she was obviously inappropriately drunk at a school function. There was even talk, much to Harry's grim satisfaction, that she should be removed from the school's governing board. Harry briefly contemplated escalating this by complaining to the school about how disappointingly unwelcome he felt at his Godson's new school because of his sexual orientation and that he thought OFSTED would be most interested to hear about one of their governor's absolute lack of inclusivity.