June: The Viennese Waltz

Their next formal dance together was more planned because, this time, Harry had formally invited Draco to the Ministry dinner/dance and sent him his spare ticket after Draco complained that he'd never been taken on an actual date, ever. Of course, house arrest had scuppered that but even at school, he'd never had the opportunity (he didn't include taking Pansy to Hogsmeade in the fourth year). Harry even promised to wear his dress robes from Mr Cargador and not his Auror robes. He started by going to the Manor to escort his date to the Ministry and they had sat side-by-side all through the rather second-rate meal at a round table with Mione and Ron, George and Angelina, Peanut and Pansy (who'd finally admitted they were a couple), Blaise and Gin (who definitely weren't on a date).

Gin had had their hair cut short some years previously and was looking rather fearsome and very androgynous in a white trouser suit, they'd also confirmed their non-binary identity. Blaise was obviously even more taken with Gin than usual and it appeared he hadn't given up after his failed attempt at the last dance. Gin was ignoring his advances by holding an in-depth conversation with a very pregnant and large Angelina about Quidditch manoeuvres.

Draco kept playing nervously with his cutlery and it took all of Harry's willpower not to reach out and grab his hand and hold it gently to calm him. Instead they talked quietly about Draco's latest assignments and George showed them his latest additions to the full-sleeve tattoo that adorned his arm (George had fallen in love with body art since the war and Draco was working on a replica of the dragon firework he and Fred had set off in the Great Hall for a back piece for George). Harry completely disregarded the intense scrutiny from Mione, Peanut, and Pansy.

'Would you mind?' Draco said sometime later and just a little aggressively, after tapping Miss Achara Vanida from Work-Force Resources on the shoulder and stepping in to dance with Harry.

Harry rested his hand on Draco's bicep and took his left hand as Draco lead Harry possessively away from the stunning young Singaporean transwitch who looked forlornly after the raven-haired man. Harry could tell that Draco was rather tense.

'You were a bit abrupt with Achara...' Harry said, slightly intrigued as they naturally fell into the rise and fall amongst the turns of the Viennese Waltz.

'She's way too beautiful and I didn't like the way she was talking so intently with you.'

'Ah! You nearly sound jealous...' Harry smirked.

'I am not jealous, there's nothing to be jealous of, we are not a thing, so you are free to do whatever you want with whomever you want.'

'I see,' Harry said thoughtfully, his insides jumping with joy because Draco was definitely jealous. 'I think I might take offence at the suggestion that we're not a thing...'

'We're not to this rabble...'

'I see, but that doesn't mean we're not a thing, as you say. In my opinion, we are. And after that Tango, you may find the rabble's general assumption agrees with my opinion,' Harry said with a slight smile. 'And Achara's definitely not interested in me anyway, all she talked about was Nev, she wanted to know all about him.'

'Oh!' Draco said quietly, but Harry felt his shoulder relax perceptibly under his hand. 'Besides, she's far too tall and elegant for you.'

'And you're not?'

'I don't wear four-inch heels,' Draco muttered.

'You can if you want,' Harry teased.

They fell silent as they danced, but both men had little satisfied smiles on their faces as Draco lead Harry through a series of fast canter-time pivot turns that were enough to make any man feel motion sickness, especially after the mediocre Ministry dinner and slightly too much cheap table wine.