April: A Slow Dance

They were slowly rotating in their own private circle and ignoring the other occupants of the dance floor even though they both knew they were being watched intently. Speculation had been rising in the press about the nature of their relationship despite their careful attempts to ensure no overt signs of anything beyond two dances together at the two previous Ministry functions. And they weren't exactly extraordinary beyond Harry and Draco's supposed life-long grudge being clearly put to one side without anyone understanding when or why it had happened.

Though perhaps the way that they were dancing cheek to cheek or the way that Draco held Harry firmly against his body might promote further conjecture, especially as it felt like neither of them could get close enough. It was all Harry could do not to turn his head slightly and bury his head into Draco's neck, to inhale those oriental tones deeply, and then mark the man as his in the middle of the dancefloor.

'Are you sniffing me again?' Draco teased lightly.

'I happen to like your aftershave,' Harry whispered huskily. 'It does things to me which I can't possibly explain to you right here...'

'Why do you keep coming to these things? Surely you don't enjoy them,' Draco muttered.

'I do when there's moments with you like this. If only they all knew exactly what I want to do to you right now. I'm sure it would cause a sensation even amongst to the most inclusive of sensibilities present.' Harry sighed, 'I come because it's expected of me...'

'...stop trying to turn me on. Besides, you, of all people, can always say no. Perhaps you do enjoy the attention after all, Snape always said...'

'...don't, I still get enough of that from him!' Harry could feel the twitch of Draco's lips through the movement in his cheeks. 'And I can tell you're already turned on.' He pushed his groin slightly more firmly against Draco's, just in case there was any misunderstanding of what he meant.

Draco hissed quietly. 'Merlin!' He took a deep breath. 'Stop trying to frot me in middle of the bloody dance floor, Potter! Fucking Auror cloak or not. I swear...'

They didn't talk for a while.

'It must cost you a fortune,' Draco said.

'What? Turning you on?'

'No, Potter! Coming to all these bloody functions.'

'Mostly everything is complimentary for me, so being The Saviour does have its perks.'

'How very Slytherin of you, Blaise must be proud!'

Harry ignored the comment. 'And the good thing about my garish Auror dress-robes is that people don't expect me to turn up in a different set of robes each month. I try to keep my guest's drinks on my tab too, just to keep their costs down too. At least this season is nearly over.'

They rotated slowly. And although Harry had tried to pull away slightly after his reprimand, Draco didn't actually release his grip. The friction between them was delightful.

After a moment Draco said, 'I'm going to have a word with Peanut and get her to pick out the most important ones of the year when they start up again in September and you'll just have to start saying your diary is full. It's not as if you actually need to hob-knob with all these tossers.'

'But you do...' an unsaid question mark finished Harry's statement.

'You know I do, not that any of them want to talk to me. Convicted Death Eater and all that...'