Still October (just): The Foxtrot

Harry didn't like the Foxtrot, there was something stiff and unnatural about it. He knew it was supposed to be smooth with long continuous movements so maybe it was the 4/4-time signature or the music or the constant bent legs or the odd angles of their torsos. Or maybe it was simply that Harry was in a grouch. Whatever it was, he just didn't like it. He persevered and he let Draco lead without once breaking his position.

'You're not relaxed,' Draco muttered.

It was the first ball of the Winter season. An annual Halloween Ball to raise funds for St Mungo's and the Janus Thickey Ward. They were in fancy dress. Harry wasn't in the mood and he wore a simple Vampire outfit, gelled back his hair and Glamoured a Widow's peak and long canines, but as he didn't need to try, he hadn't bothered too much. Draco looked rather superb as an Inferius; he had bothered.

Harry was trying hard not to think about the fact that it was the anniversary of his parents' deaths. He really was trying hard ... and failing. All he wanted to do was go home and sleep through the whole ordeal. Instead, he'd agreed to judge the bloody fancy dress competition which meant he had to stay.

'Pick a winner for me so I can tell Mione and Healer Mackay and then we can get the hell out of here.'

'The Sorting Hat.'

'No, I don't think that's a costume but a regular dress, she was wearing it before. Works for The Prophet.'

'How gauche!'

'The Prophet or the dress?'

'Both. How about the skeleton?'

'You're taking the piss.'

'That's because I've got the best costume here so we might as well pick someone crap to make a point.'

'Come on, Draco... do better.'

'The troll?'

'That's Hagrid...'

'Oh, really. I didn't realise. Oh, them there – the Fiendfyre. Actually, they're pretty impressive.'

They both shuddered at the recollection of the Room of Hidden Things.

'Okay, done deal. I'll let Mione know and let's get out of here.'

'I still think you ought to choose the Sorting Hat, to get her back for the article and you looking foolishly happy after dancing with me.'

'She can have second place. Come on.'

He couldn't find Mione so he sent her his Patronus, pleading a migraine and letting her know his choices.

He took Draco's arm and, for once, they left together. Once in the Ministry atrium, Harry side-along Apparated them to Lily Cottage. It was barely 9.30pm.

'Are you okay, Harry?' Draco asked with concern as Harry let his Glamours fall away, ripped off his red bowtie and cummerbund, shrugged off his long frock coat, and then kicked off his highly polished Oxfords. They were barely inside the front door.

'I hate those bloody shoes!' he said, banishing them to the back of his coat cupboard. He stomped off to the kitchen to find a bottle of Firewhiskey, loosening the top buttons of his shirt as he went. He caught Severus moving in one of the hallway pictures but studiously ignored him. 'And I hate today. It's a stupid day to celebrate,' he shouted at no one in particular.