Smoke In The Distance

Comincia dall'inizio

"Hold." Smith said, trotting heard in the distance.

Not even a few seconds later Ivan appeared in the distance dashing his way back. He halted his horse leaping from off the mare, giving her a pat on the neck. Ivan looked up at Sir Smith, handing the knight a note.

"Damn it." Smith cursed, "Bandits. It appears Sovland is willing to pay thugs and outlaws to do their dirty work."

Smith passed the note around. A near perfect drawing of Dyan was on a piece of parchment with a price of ten-thousand blooms. Each knight held it until eventual it was passed to Dyan. She had temporarily  left the carriage to see what was going on. She passed it back to Nathan as worry soured her face.

They had been outplayed. The common folk weren't acquainted with their king's appearances, let along his daughter. The names were known, but trying to travel under wraps with little sign of regaliaity now was a detriment. The point was not to bring attention to themselves, now that was proving impossible. If they had come clothed as nobles they were a shining target, now underdressed the people would turn against them.

Nathan pocketed the wanted post, "Where did you find this?"

"Roughly sixty meters out from the village. Whole place was burnt to the ground. Few signs of arrows and cut bodies. Mostly corpses turned to ash from the flames. It's not a pleasant sight."

"We should take our revenge!" Thomas yelled, "What are bandits compared to men like us? We are knights of Gall."

"Keep your head cool." Sir Grahm muffled, "We don't need any rash decisions."

He was eating a loaf of bread. The knight took another bite to force the remaining bread into an already full mouth. A wet slosh of chewed bread fell to the ground as he ate with an open mouth. Grahm choked when he tried to swallow.

Sir Smith glared over towards him now with greater disdain. He slammed his fist into Grahm's shoulder. Venom leaped from his lips as vains strained his neck muscles., "Stop eating all the fucking food! We need to save it. Who knows when we will be able to restock."

"We should just turn back." Sir Ammon suggested.

"No." Sir Smith replied, "the entire kingdom will see us as fools. Our reputation is on the line."

"Than we should take the south pass." Nathan stated, "It is a shorter route."

"Near the Weeping Forest?" John spoke up, "You're insane! They're cannibal's in that area, they eat the flesh from off human faces."

"Hold it, coward. I like this plan. The Beast has a point" Sir Thomas replied. "It will be easier to stay incognito. Bandits do not wonder near the forest edges. Besides we have no plan if going into the forest."

"You vouch for him?" John replied disgusted.

"I say we take this southern pass." Dyan stated, staring at Nathan.

Sir Smith nodded, "Very well." He pointed into the tree line forty meters away, "We should head into the forest and scavenge what we can from Greyfield. Ammon, George, I want you to check it out as soon as we've set up camp. Ivan look for clean water.

The men nodded as they rode the carriage and horses off the road and into the forest. Nathan looked down at Dyan from ontop his horse  into her carriage.

"I thought I was a villain. Why side with me?" Nathan ask.

"No reason." Dyan mocked, "Just felt like doing it."

Nathan scoffed, catching the attention of the princess. Her whole body had turned around. Was he laughing?

"I just like to know who my friends are, when I'm in a pit with tigers." Nathan added.