Chapter 10- Picnics, and killer ham sandwiches.

Start from the beginning

Why do you care what Harper thinks?

I continued to glare at Amanda, my jaw clenching. Normally, I would be too frightened to stand up to Amanda like this, but I felt a growing rage building up in me. Maybe it was the fact that I just hated her, that she was making out with Harper or I was sick of all the panic attacks, the words just came pouring out. "Plastic surgery can fix ugliness, Amanda," I hissed, closing into her, "But nothing can fix stupidity." With that, I barged her aside, a small spark of satisfaction igniting when I saw her astonished expression as I strolled past her and down the corridor, silently praying that I wouldn't trip.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hung my head low as I shuffled into the cafeteria, hoping desperately that no one would notice me, except for maybe Emma or Max, but they were on a date for lunch today, something that happened once a month. Normally before they went, they would ask for my permission, afraid of leaving me alone, but of course I said they could go, convincing them that I would be just fine in the library, and honestly, I was. However much I appreciated it, I didn't always like it, I didn't always like being treated like I was so fragile, like a was glass on the verge of shattering.

My head still hanging low, I walked to the line in the cafeteria, analysing the wooden floorboards. I could feel eyes on me, despite knowing that they most likely weren't there, I felt them burn, leaving scorch marks in my skin. I suddenly crashed into a hard chest, tumbling backwards at the impact before someone grabbed my arm, keeping me upright. I felt warm tingles travel up my arm where their warm flesh met my skin.

"Woah, someone's eager," I looked up to gaze at the sexy, chiseled face of Harper Andrews, who was smirking and arching an eyebrow cockily. "Can't say I don't mind. I always like the ones in control." He finished arrogantly, winking at me, stroking my arm softly and biting his lip.

Gods he looked so hot.

Suddenly, Amanda's words came rushing back and I darted my eyes away from the player in front of me. "Please, I'm not in the mood," I muttered, intending to say it huffily, but it was ruined by the small crack in my voice as I walked past him. I suddenly felt something catch onto my wrist, making me stop abruptly. I took in a sharp intake of breath.

"Noelle... what happened?"

His words left me in shock. I turned around slowly, not because he was holding my wrist firmly in his grasp, not because it was sending shivers up my spine, and not to tell him what had happened. I turned because of what I heard in his voice, I heard raw concern lacing through his words, stripped of any arrogance or cockiness, just concern. For me.

I opened my mouth to say something, ready to blurt out everything. The PE lesson, the students, Amanda, the social anxiety, the panic attacks, the insecurities that would haunt me at night, the screaming voices in my head, but I stopped before I could blurt out a word, clsoing my mouth quickly. How could I do that? How was I so quick to almost tell him?

Why was I so inclined to trust him?

I bit my lip quickly. He looked disappointed that I hadn't told him anything, that I hadn't confessed, but he didn't push me, just nodded his head in understanding. Suddenly, he started dragging me somewhere, gently, his index finger and thumb hooked around my wrist. "Where... where are you taking me?" I stuttered, confused as he led me out the side doors of the cafeteria, out onto the football pitch. My fingers and toes tingled and I let the warm sun wash over me as Harper continued to keep walking across the grassy football field, towards the bleachers. He still hadn't answered my question. "Where are you taking me?" I demanded, a bit firmer this time. My eyes widened suddenly. "Are you going to kill me here where no one can see?" I gasped, trying to pull my hand away from his grasp. Nobody goes back there. It would be the perfect place to hide a body.