Resurrection of the Tyrant

Back in the palace things were still chaotic as the residents and citadel guards became aware of Sharvur's sudden recovery. The older slave women assigned to his care that night were summoned to see if, in fact, his ranting was merely a flash of energy before his imminent death. This was not the case, however, as his shouting never ceased into the early morning. He insisted on having the captured Amazons brought to his chamber throughout the night. And when it was revealed to him that Aella had killed herself, along with one of the other female warriors, he would not believe his guards news until the lifeless bodies of the women were brought into his room and sprawled on the floor.

        "Where is Arpada?" He shouted. "I want him here now!" the sweat-soaked king bellowed. "He will punish these two devil women anyway. Strip them of their clothing! Bring Arpada here now to defile their wicked bodies while I watch!"

        The horror of this proposed act could not be imagined nor tolerated by either the older women or soldiers, who helplessly stood by, refusing to comply with Sharvur's wickedness. Surely their refusal was at the threat of their own lives.

        When the robust soldier Arpada was finally brought into the bedchamber after being summoned from his home, the young man was pre-warned of Sharvur's insanity and rage—what their mad king had wanted of him to do. Attributing the morbid request to the king's feverish illness, Arpada spoke gently to his king and warned of how such an act would anger the gods of any people. How it would curse him and only bring more strife to Sharvur's land and people.

            For a tense moment everyone in the bedchamber standing around the dead Amazon's bodies  were silent while the king sat up in his bed. He had his head in his hands and considered what the cogent and frightened soldier had suggested. A unified sigh of relief was brought to them all as Sharvur gave the order with one wave of his hand to take the bodies of Aella and Bremusa away. He angrily ordered them disposed of hastily and to grant them no proper burial.

            "Where is this third Amazon?" the king then suddenly and loudly inquired. "The younger one! I have not heard or seen of her. Did she not take the path of the others? Find the young Amazon! Bring her to me and Arpada now!"

            The slave women and soldiers left the chamber at once. While obliged to follow their king's orders, they were at the same time relieved Sharvur did not inflict upon them what they feared he would do for their disobedience.

            The king turned to Arpada standing near his bed with a strange and wistful smile. "You will like this third Amazon," he told the young man, quietly, as if in confidance.

        Arpada knew he was helpless to resist more.

         "She is fresh and beautiful," Sharvur offered still. "And she will remember the lessons you will teacher her before me."

        Arpada held his head down in silence, mustering the courage to comply with his king's cruel orders when the time would come.

            "Go now and rest, brave soldier. When the girl is brought to me, you shall be called upon for your many duties. This Amazon . . . young or not, will have to take the punishment for what her wild sister did to me . . . This creature of the plains who now lays buried out in the snow. May the vultures leave only her bones on the mountain top when the spring returns to us!" Sharvur shouted hysterically.

            Arpada bowed humbly and left the king in his room. The monarch was still seething and crazed in an ebullient manner as the young man exited.