Branka's Curse

That night, following the frenetic performance of the "Dance of the Warriors" Zaria retired to her new room. It would be her first night there and she found everything to her liking. She had just diligently sat for hours through the wild evening festivities at Sharvur's side, displaying herself to his chosen subjects as the new "princess." As her tattoo was still red and inflamed, she chose not to expose her arm and shoulder to the public that evening—though that new bold part of her very being she now adored and treasured.  During the all-male dancing program her tattoo had been covered inside the sleeve of her long, silk gown—one of the new garments which Sharvur had ordered made for her and placed in her room for this and such future occasions.

         Earlier, Zaria's afternoon appointment with Tsudros, which she had anticipated with great desire, did not disappoint her in the least. She found the artist still overbearingly attractive, caring and attentive to her as yet fresh wound. The meeting was exhilarating to her, despite the fact it was merely to dress the dark, swirling lines and cuts Tsudros had personally etched upon her body. While he rubbed his magic ointment into her raw and tender skin, soothing the burning pain, Zaria felt herself becoming yet again warm and moist in other places. It began as soon as he positioned himself so closely next to her and she could smell his body—a mixture of manly sweat and light perfume. A familiar throbbing began for Zaria as Tsudros leaned closer, touched her body with his and recited his words of comfort.

      Several times during the brief procedure their eyes met and there was a mutual urgency communicated which hinted of seeing see each other beyond these few days of therapy. Both spoke none of this. But both Zaria and Tsudros felt the beguiling pull of attraction which it offered. To Zaria that magic had begun the day before, under Tsudros' first light breaking of her skin and the thought that he was, in some physical way, transforming her.     

        Yet, Zaria also knew the risks involved in pursuing such an irresistible fantasy—that erotic dream she had only envisioned the night before—feeling herself enveloped and caressed in his strong and embellished arms. If such a meeting was discovered, it would surly mean instant death to the artist, and most possibly to her as well. There were, however, certain dangerous, yet new, possibilities inherent in Zaria's position of power within the palace. They might present themselves creatively, she imagined, to bring about future liaisons. And as Zaria left Tsudros that afternoon—both of them ending their longing stare with a nod, these possibilities were already carefully being considered by her, unbeknownst to the young artist. 

                                                     *     *     * 

         As the monotonous drumming died down and the final performance of the fearsome warriors was celebrated by boisterous cheering, Branka knew from her small room in the palace that she would now be called upon to join Sharvur in his bedchamber. The directive finally came from one of the attending women. The older woman seemed vicariously aware, through her furtive smile, of what would take place for the young slave that night.

       To Branka it would be her second time with the king, and she only hoped it would not be as traumatic as the first long night she had spent him. Was it possible, now that her virginity had been lost, that she would not feel the same pain when he ravaged her again? Would he now be less sadistic in playing upon her fears and her innocence? And might he not use again the horse whip he kept under his pillow to intensify his pleasure, teasing and striking her naked backside? Branka had every reason to be fearful as she entered the king's candle-lit bedroom with these questions for a second night.

          "Ah Branka . . . I have been thinking of you all day." Sharvur said greeting her inside. "And I see you have worn the little dress I left for you in your room."