A Final Dream of Spring

In the days following Sharvur's removal from power, a new era, and with it a new aura began to settle over the stone palace. The three generals who had orchestrated the coup were attempting to enforce their own brand of governance upon the land. The majority of the Pazyryk people accepted them as a welcome change to their nomadic culture, while another faction—mainly members of the old military guard, showed their disapproval. These elements were attempting, at first peacefully, to resist the new order.

        To Zaria's dismay, some of Sharvur's loyalists still felt their former king had been a legitimate and stabilizing force to the Scythian clan, regardless of his personal perversions and bouts of cruelty. And as appointed his princess, Zaria was still held in high esteem, both in the palace and out on the streets. She perceived that this might mean a greater freedom of movement for her now throughout the kingdom. Yet this was not to be the case, as was explained to her by Krido several nights following the coup.

        The old man had come to her quarters after holding a high level meeting with the new triumvirate in the palace. It was in reaction to their unified decision to depose Sharvur and sentence him to life in prison.

        "I come to you now, princess, to tell you my true feelings about matters that affect you.  And . . .  how I now see the future of our realm."

        Zaria welcomed the aged counselor in while she had prepared hot spiced tea for them both. Krido wore his blue silks that day, and, as it was an official calling,  he had donned his pointed hat of the same shade. Zaria had greeted him in her grass-green dress, and wore the golden head band first presented to her in the capacity of princess of the clan.

        "You will not like what I will say this evening, princess . . . for much of it has no regard for you as the young, beautiful woman you have become in our presence. It instead further defines you as being only an instrument of the leadership here. . . . and your responsibility to continue contributing to the protection and peace of our citizens."

        Zaria was perplexed and anxious about what Krido was telling her.  She began to have the depressing feeling that his words would not bode well for her position in the new regime.

        "Though you will not like the conditions under which you will be living here," he continued, "you will have to accept them . . . upon the threat to any slave's life."

        She was silent. Then sipped her tea, trying to remain stoic about what she was hearing. "I honor your wisdom, Krido. And I know that you have no feelings for me either out of love or friendship. But you have always been a fair and honest man. Please tell me directly . . . all I may know. And how I must go on here."

            The old man gave what could almost be considered a smile, though a paternal nod was more accurate. "You might be surprised to know, young Zaria, that I never believed in any powers associated with your virginity. . . And whether you have been with your  . . . artist lover Tsudros completely . . . and sexually . . . is of no concern to me."

            Zaria was shocked at the old man's revelation of what he had always believed, that her powers were only superstition. She was even more surprised that he did not care if she and Tsudros had ever made love in the past. The thought of the few occasions they had the opportunity to consummate their love totally, but did not, was regrettable. Yet, that she and Tsudros worked with great restraint to successfully avoid the total act—due to the stigma of it being discovered by Sharvur, was all the reason she had always complied with the charade. It had simply been a matter of life or death.

            "I was the one," the old man told her, leaning forward and holding his staff for support, "who had told the king in the beginning of your . . .  'powers' . . .  if he kept you a virgin."