Chapter 9

hey guys! i'm back with chapter 9!!! so sorry for the long wait *puppy dog face* i was overjoyed seeing the story got over 1000 reads!!! thanks a lot guys!!! 

Happy Reading! :D :D

Chapter 9

The next day, (Tuesday) Sydney dropped Jessica at school and went for her job interview praying that they would hire her. It was for a news firm. She preferred teaching mathematics but beggars can't be choosers.

"Ms. Sydney Smith?" A blonde woman dressed in a black skirt and crisp, white shirt called out.

"That's me." Sydney stood up.

"You may go in. There is no need to knock; Mr. Claude knows you are here."

Sydney entered through a glass door where Mr. Peter Claude Editor of Times Weekly was etched in bold letters.

"Please take a seat," Mr. Claude gestured to a chair.

Sydney handed him her resume and sat down in the indicated chair.

"Hmmm, you worked as a teacher in a high school."

He continued before Sydney could reply.

"Your resume is quite impressive, you are hired." He handed her resume back to her and started droning about the job, salary and what she was expected to do.

"Sorry for interupting but don't you need you ask a few questions and I don't know- actually take an interview?" Sydney asked, knowing full well that she sounded rude.

Claude laughed, "you are an interesting woman, Ms. Smith. And no I don't need to interview you. Your resume and certificates give me enough reason to hire you."

Sydney sat dumbfounded.  

Sydney got a bad feeling about it and was still not satisfied with his explanation. The even more astounding thing was that the job was that of an assistant editor. Sydney was well aware of the fact that wasn’t qualified enough for such a job and she even lacked the necessary experience but she did not say anything more as she was desparate for a job. She finished finalizing the salary and timings and would start from the next day.

Sydney's spirits were considerably lifted as she went home. James was coming home for dinner. Jessica and he had gotten along well. She wasn't as open with him as Ashton but she was getting there.

Sydney didn't know what she would do if Jessica ever chose James over her. She was obviously not going to stay with James so Jessica had only option and that was to choose between her mother and father.

But Sydbey was going to do her damnest so that James' facade would be exposed. She reached the apartment still coming up with a plan. On the coffee table were a lone red rose- Sydney's favorite flower, and a small thank-you-for-giving-me-a-chance-I-won't-disappoint note from James.

Despite herself, Sydney smiled. James had given her a red rose everyday in college.

Had he really turned over a new leaf? Was Jessica right in giving him a second chance? Sydney dismissed off the thoughts. Maybe James really had changed but Sydney couldn't give him the benefit of doubt. She could risk the life she had built for her and her daughter and most of all she couldn't risk her daughter. James was a bad choice.

Sydney ate lunch and started doing research of the company she would be joining. Times Weekly was a small press firm but it was quickly expanding. The editor, her boss, was also nice and nothing disasterous had been written about him. All in all it was a nice place to work at.