Part LVII - "Ocean view"

Elijah pulled the car up a cobblestone road that led to a breathtaking, two story beach house. The back deck was gorgeously embellished with multicolored bricks, along with the rest of the house that was made up of a cream colored wood. The house had two garage doors and enough parking space to hold over four other cars. Small garden lights illuminated the pathway up to the double glass doors.

Even as it grew darker the place remained well lit. The warm colored lights on the porch revealed exotic flowers which lined the railing in pots.

Elijah grabbed our bags and ascended the stairs to the door. After a short work of the keys, we were inside. And just as I expected . . . the inside is as stunning as the outside.

To my left was a large living room area with couches and a ginormous flat screen hanging on the wall. In the far corner there stood an enclosed wet bar with a dozen varieties of wine sitting on the wall rack. It looked like there was an ice maker and a mini fridge already built into the bar. The corner was completed with three rod iron bar stools.

My heart nearly jumped into my throat when I caught sight of the next room

My heart nearly jumped into my throat when I caught sight of the next room. To my right was a fully stocked kitchen with dual ovens and king sized refrigerator. In the middle of the kitchen was a marble topped Island with a pan rack hanging above.  

I continued to survey the rest of the first floor with a careful eye. There were zero personal pictures in this house. A normal person would have assumed that he rented the place from someone else. But I knew unmistakably that this was his beach house. The very essence in the air smelled of him. Crisp pine and snow. Like winter at the beach.

"This is your beach house," I stated.

He set the keys down. With a deep smile he spoke.

"What gave it away?"

This man had a specific sense of style when it came to interior decorating. His office was painted in dark colors and paired with leather sofa chairs. His house in Iron Gates was decorated similarly. If the man had a beach house why wouldn't it look similar to the other two places?

I smirked. "Just a lucky guess."

With both our bags in hand, Elijah showed me the second floor. The house had two guest rooms, but he kept walking down the hall until we reached the master bedroom. I switched on a light. Inside was a king sized bed covered in pillows. The room lead out to a large balcony that overlooked the ocean. The ocean. . . so close. . . I could almost see her.

My body began to relax when I felt his hands on my back. I released the tension in both my hands and took in a breath.

"Are you hungry?" he asked.

I broke my gaze from the door and turned to him.

"A little."

A smile peaked his lips. "What do you say if I go down to the kitchen and make us something?"