1

Rei Brown - Lovers

It was 4 AM, Joji and I were chilling on the roof.

He was smoking a cigarette as we were sharing my earphones, listening to some music with the city ambience peeking into our ears.

I don't smoke. I did once, but that was a one time thing. I looked up at the sky to see the stars on the clear sky, and the smoke from Joji's cigarette hitting my face.

"Hey."

"Huh?" Joji said, looking at me.

"I don't smoke, you don't have to blow your smoke to my face." I said, moving my hands in front of my face to get rid of the smoke. "Right, sorry." He replied.

He looked at me, took a deep breath of the cancerous stick, and blew the smoke right on my face.

"Joji!"

He laughed very hard. Hearing that, I laughed too. After a while, we stopped laughing and he put his hand around my shoulders. "We're nocturnal, huh?" He said, with his cigarette between his lips. "Yeah, pretty much." I replied. He smiled. Gosh, his sweet smile. That obviously made my heart warm, so I blushed too.

I basically fell for him since the first couple days we met. We met at the first year of college, which made me live with him in his apartment. He understands me. I love him. Yet, I'm just his best friend. He loves someone else. His girlfriend, Chloe. He met her just a year after I met him. I should've confessed first, I know. But I'm a coward, so I have to see him with her and make myself suffer for a couple years now.

We have this friend group thing, and we're very close. Joji, Ian, Max, Chad, Brian, Niki, and me. Joji thinks that I'm the closest one with him. He told me that I understands him and I help a lot with his music and he helps a lot with my music. We like to make videos together too, with Chad, Ian and Max. Niki and Brian never wanted to join. That sucks.

I am basically the least interesting between all of them. I think. My character for YouTube sucks, no one really listen to my music, and I am just a normal person. All the comments in my social media are just a bunch of girls asking about Joji or something. I am obviously pissed, but I never told him. I don't want to make him feel guilty.

"I can't feel my toes." Joji said, trying not to make the situation too quiet. "What the actual fuck." I replied, moving away from him, laughing. "What? Isn't it normal, y/n?" He said, giggling as he puts his cigarette on the ground. "Well yeah. What am I supposed to do about it?" I asked him, giving him a warm smile as a friend. "I don't know. Hold them?" He replied. 

I gave him a confused and weird look and he replied with a smile. "Wanna hang out later night?" I asked him as I looked at the sky above me. "I can't. I have a date with Chloe. She wants to try that expensive restaurant across central park. Heck, a taco is enough." He answered as he laid down.

Right, his girlfriend.

I giggled at his response. I stood up and put the hood of my hoodie on my head, covering my head. "Where are you going?" Joji said, looking at me as I stood up. He stood up and grabbed my wrist. "I'm tired." I said. "But you're never tired at this time. Are you upset 'cause I can't hang out with you later?" He asked me. He sounded pretty worried. "Yes." I replied.

"I'm sorry. I can cancel it if you want." He said as his voice go a little deeper. "No need. I'm totally fine. My eyes are getting pretty heavy now, let me go." I said, looking at his face to see him frowning. "Oh, right." He said, letting go of his hand around my wrist. "See you." He continued as he puts his hands inside the pockets of his hoodie. I gave him a little smile before I got to the stairs to go down to our apartment.