Ch. 13

I kicked open Charlie's door and stomped in, throwing my football pads on the empty bed of his former roommate. Charlie was sitting at his desk, slipping on his shoes. 

"Get your smelly pads off that bed," Charlie ordered immediately and I ignored him, sitting on his bed and glaring into him. 

"When the hell were you going to tell me that your roommate transferred schools?" I grumbled and Charlie simply shrugged his shoulders. 

"It literally happened a couple of days ago," Charlie leaned back in his chair, not bothering to tie his shoes, "why? What's the big deal?" 

I suddenly jumped up and began pacing in front of Charlie. "What's the big deal? What the hell do you mean 'what's the big deal'? I'm rooming with a girl and you're over here with a perfectly empty half of the room!"

Charlie crossed his arms now, his brows drawing in at the middle and a scowl replaced his previous smirk. 

"Are you suggesting that Sadie move in here with me?" His question shocked me. Why had that been the first place his mind went to? 

"What? No!" I threw my hands in the air in exaggeration and sighed loudly before plopping down on Charlie's bed, "I was suggesting that I move in with you and Sadie gets the other room to herself,"

That would kill two birds with one stone. I wouldn't have to deal with being locked out of my own room anymore and Sadie would have the privacy a girl needs without a stinky jock like me around. Charlie slowly nodded his head before suddenly starting to shake it.

"No, that wouldn't work though," Now Charlie sighed loudly and leaned forward, resting his forearms on his knees, "For one I don't want a roommate, especially you, you smell. For two, I think you're just trying to run away from your problems instead of face them,"

My mouth was hanging wide open due to shock from my best friends response. My own best friend didn't want me to be his roommate.

"Besides, remember when I basically lived at your house the one summer? We almost killed each other and didn't talk for three months after school started again and I went home," Charlie mentioned before I had the chance to respond to his first insult. 

As I sat in silence, staring in disbelief at my best friend, he grabbed the football that was on his desk and tossed it at me. I hardly caught it before it smashed into my face. 

"Sadie isn't all that bad Kent," He muttered and I snapped the ball back towards him, watching with delight as he fumbled and the ball fell to the ground, bouncing away from both of us. 

"You would know, huh?" I stood up and snatched the pads from the empty bed I had thrown them on. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Charlie called out but I was already heading out the door. 

I ran into Sid, Jace and Jayden in the stairwell and we all walked to practice together. Thank goodness we had an early practice today, considering our first game was tomorrow. My nerves hadn't quite set in for the game yet but I'm sure they would after practice. 

"You think coach is going to take it easy on us since the game is tomorrow?" Jayden asked as we made our way out of the dorm and towards the field. We ran into Chunk, Dylan and Squid as well. 

"Does coach ever take it easy on us?" I grumbled, lifting my pads over my shoulder instead of dangling them by my legs. It was easier to carry this way. 

Instead of responding, Squid cried out "Go Pirates!" scaring a group of freshman girls who were hurrying to their dorm and making the rest of us guys burst out in laughter. At least we could count on Squid being our hype man.