Three Sons of York

The gates of the city of York opened at last and the royal procession to the Minster began

The gates of the city of York opened at last and the royal procession to the Minster began. Edmund was at the front, riding Galahad in the middle of his mother and father who were beaming down delightedly at him as he rode proudly through the streets, waving to the crowds of well wishers that had gathered at the sides of the road to catch a glimpse of their new Prince and his family.

Behind the King, Queen and their eldest son rode Ned, Dickon. Both boys had arrived from London the previous day and despite them being tired from their long journey, were sitting up straight on their horses, beaming and waving as their brother was doing.

This was Dickon's first time riding completely on his own (despite him having been taught to ride for years now, he had a morbid fear that he would fall and break his neck as he had seen a knight do in a joust one summer) and found himself worrying a little as he swung slightly from side to side, trying to keep his horse in check. His twin looked across at him and grinned.

"Watch it, Dickon!" He shouted over the roar of the excited crowds "or you'll go for a right tumble! You'll fall right into that pile of shit over there!"

"Edward Plantagenet!" Ned turned the brightest shade of red known to man as he turned to face his older sister who had appeared by his side, riding her brand new dapple mare, her hair free from restraint and flowing down her back in perfect waves. Her expression was one of shock but there was a flicker of amusement in her eyes, a flicker that Edward unfortunately didn't see and so it did nothing to cure his sudden nerves "I'm surprised you even know that word, Ned! Do you know what it means?"

"Er...ermm..." Ned stammered
"Er, erm? What a clever answer, little brother" Lisbet interrupted scornfully, rolling her eyes while Dickon began to giggle at his sibling's interaction, glad that Lisbet had appeared to relive him of his twin's teasing.

"Oh do shut up, Dickon" Ned snapped before turning back to Lisbet "I heard it from Uncle Rob if you must know! I asked him what it meant and he told me!"
"And did he tell you that if that word ever reached the ears of mama and papa and knew it had come from your mouth that you would be locked in the cellars for a good month?"

"No...he forgot to mention that" Ned suddenly looked worried again "you're not going to tell them, are you? Mama and papa, I mean?" Lisbet frowned for a moment, drawing out the suspense for all it was worth, enjoying the increasing look of unease on her little brother's face as he glanced warily at his parents in front of him.

"I think" The Princess began at last "I think that our parents shall not hear of it...at least not from me" she glanced at Dickon who was still laughing, although Ned was glaring at him, but despite his joy he still nodded in a silent vow that not a word of the situation would pass his lips.