She could see her reputation being crushed into smithereens. She would now be a hated figure. She had sacrificed so much for a strategy that might not even work.

And Sombra knew that. He wanted to be the only person who loved her.

They played a whole game with their eyes alone. Checkmate.

You snake.

"Will you be my queen, Luna?"

"Yes." A knife went in and twisted in multiple directions.

A boy to her right held a red velvet cushion. On it rested the most beautiful tiara she had ever seen. Blue topaz stars embellished in polished black crystal. The tip held a diamond carved into a crescent moon.

They were a matching pair: The King of Shadows and the Queen of the Night.

The tiara was lifted from the cushion, and gently placed on her head. Sombra's fingertips gently brushed a few strands of hair as he set it in place.

"I hereby pronounce you, Princess Luna of Equestria, Queen of the Obsidian Empire!"

********

Luna had been to many feasts in her life. She had enjoyed none of them. It wasn't the food, which was always fabulous. Or the socializing. It was the fact that everyone was trying to be louder than the next. Talking, but never listening.

But this will be different, she told herself as she changed into a flowy blue dress with a heart-shaped neckline. She smiled when she saw the near-invisible pockets in the folds of the garment, remembering how she complained to Sombra about how inconvenient dresses could be.

Luna opened her bedroom door, but remembered her light blue cape lined with white fur. It was always cold in the castle, no matter how many fires they lit.

*******

Her fist was raised above the door, but she couldn't garner the motivation to knock. The last time she had attended a banquet, it was in the exact same castle, the exact same room. It was insane to think if she had simply skipped that banquet altogether, none of this would have happened.

It was the same old story over again, but with someone new on the throne. Another tyranny. History repeats itself, no matter what.

She pushed the door open. The first thing she picked up was the mouth-watering aroma of flavors that hit her. Spices mingling perfectly together. Cumin. Lemongrass. Cayenne pepper.

She was astounded to find a small table set for two, nothing like the never-ending banquet table she had imagined. The room felt too empty without it.

"Luna!" Sombra rose from his chair. "I'm glad you made it. Come sit."

She hung her cloak on a rack, hesitantly making her way over.

Despite the tantalizing smells, Luna wasn't quite sure if she could stomach a multi-course meal. The way Sombra changed his personalities was...nauseating. He could be sadistic. Desperate. Violent. Hopeful. Charming.

All the times she had encountered him, he had put on a different face for her.

"Luna," Sombra's voice cut through her thoughts. "Are you ok? You look...worried."

She quickly fumbled for something to say. "I...I'm not really used to this. It's hard adapting."

She could already tell Sombra didn't believe her.

The starter came out. Yellowtail crudo. Red bell pepper cubes. Citrus wedges.

Good food makes everything better, she thought, then realized she and Sombra had both said it out loud at the exact same time. They burst into laughter, similar to the way they used to.