ONE

Magnolia Grace Hargreeves was very bored. She had been waiting in her dad's car for about twenty minutes and she was craving chicken nuggets. Maggie always thought that her dad's vigilante work was pretty badass but she was never allowed to help him. She understood why she couldn't help, she was still only nine. Her father had argued with her that at her age he was already going on missions and it was not as cool as it seemed.

She looked out the window again, looking around for her dad. Still no sign of him. With nothing else to do, she turned on the radio and flick through the stations.

"Moments ago police reported the death

of the most eccentric and reclusive billionaire."

Maggie turned off the radio quickly. She had never met her grandfather but she had heard many stories about his cruelty and coldness. Just as she was about to look out the window to check for her dad again, she heard the car door open. Her father sat down in the driver's seat and looked at the floor with confliction. Maggie just stared at him for a while before speaking.

"Did you get the bad guys, daddy?"

Diego looked at his daughter, with sad eyes and smiled.

"Yeah, daddy got the bad guys."

Maggie crawled up to her dad and threw her arms around him.

"Are you okay?"

Diego said nothing as he turned on the car and began to drive back to their home. Maggie stayed in the front seat and held out her hand for her dad to hold, when he got sad he was not one for talking. So they sat in silence, a comfortable one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magnolia tried her best to cheer up her dad for the rest of the night. She did a dance for him, drew him a picture and even showed him a new song she had learned on the flute. Nothing seemed to be working. She decided that maybe comedy would be the best way to get her dad to smile.

"So now that grandpa died, I don't have to go to school on Monday right?" she questioned.

Diego chuckled and looked at his daughter.

"Yea I guess it does," he said.

There was another silence as Diego's thoughts drifted to his daughter and the life he had given her. He had always felt guilt that his daughter's home was a boiler room. He looked over to her corner of the room. It had colorful stickers on the wall which was accompanied by dozens of pictures they had drawn together. She had made it her own, her little cot had cute pillows and stuffies piled on top of it. Maggie loved the boiler room, it was home.

"Alright princess, it's time for bed," Diego stated as he got up and walked over to her.

"Okay daddy," Maggie whispered as she got under the covers.

Diego kissed his daughter's forehead and tucked her in. He looked at her for a second. No matter how hard things got, he always had maggie. His princess.