No. 13 - The Winter Air - Part II

Whumptober 2020 Prompt No. 13 - Breathe In, Breathe Out

Delayed Drowning | Oxygen Mask

###

If it hadn't been for the stiffness in Peter's limbs and how his muscles had started to shake again as his body started to warm, what had happened on the lake - and in the ice-cold water - would have seemed like nothing more than a nightmare back in the cozy warmth of the Stark's living room.

It had all been happening rather fast after they had both been pulled out of the water. Once they had Mr. Stark out of his wet clothes, Peter helped him up to his feet, one arm around his back. His legs felt like they didn't even belong to his body but it wasn't far to the living room, then to the couch and Mr. Stark definitely needed the support. Pepper rushed in after them, thick blankets in hand.

"Alright, on the couch with him. Pete, go and change! Something dry and warm, go on!"

By the time Peter made it back downstairs, Mr. Stark too was in a dry set of clothes lying on his back on the couch, his head propped up a little, blankets all around him and his daughter clinging to his torso. For a moment, Peter just stood there in the doorway, hesitating, completely entranced by father and daughter. How she had curled up half on top of him, how Mr. Stark's head was bowed, snuggled into the girl's hair, whispering soft reassurances, comforting her.

"Darling, come on, take this." Pepper had walked up behind him and pressed a cup of hot tea into his hands, then ran a hand through his wet hair, cupping his face. "You're still cold as ice. Go on, get yourself on the couch."

She pressed the other cup into Mr. Stark's hands, then planted a kiss on his forehead. The man's eyes fell shut at the gesture and he pulled in a deep breath then scrunched up his face and his whole body shook with another coughing fit. Pepper was fast to keep his hand steady so he wouldn't spill the hot beverage over himself.

"Shh, just breathe, honey, just breathe."

It seemed that was easier said than done, but soothing words did calm him down. Exhaustion was lining his face.

"We just need to warm you back up, okay? Both of you." She sent a look in Peter's direction.

Peter sat up a little straighter. Frantically wondering what to do to get warmer, he blew on the tea in his hands and took in a deep breath, the hot steam rushing into his lungs. His eyes fell shut in pure bliss. There was no denying how good it felt to have that warmth spread deep inside his body. He blinked his eyes open in surprise when a heavy blanket was placed around his shoulders as well.

"Just lean back, get your legs up on the couch, dear," Pepper whispered, making sure the blanket stayed in place as he shuffled further back onto the couch. She wrapped a second one around his legs, tugging it in tightly. "Alright, that's better."

"Th-thanks, Pepper," he said quietly, his face half-hidden behind that cup of tea.

Her expression was still tense, the worried lines on her forehead speaking volumes. She took the cup of tea out of his hands again.

"Be careful with that. Your hands are so cold you might burn them and won't even realize."

A corner of the blanket wrapped around the cup, she carefully put the mug back into his hands, then cupped his face and looked straight at him. For a moment, it seemed like she wanted to say something but she didn't. Her lips tightly pressed together, she worked the hood of his sweatshirt out from underneath the blanket on his back and pulled it over his wet hair.