Niamh

Celtic gods & goddesses

Niamh

Niamh (meaning ‘bright’ or ‘radiant’) of the Golden Hair, one of the Tuatha de Danann and daughter of Mannanan mac Lir, Celtic God of the Sea, was Queen in the land of Tír na nÓg (pronounced Tear na Noge), the most famous of the Celtic Otherworlds.

Niamh and Oisin

It came to pass that She fell in love with the famous warrior poet, Oisin, son of Finn, chief of the fabled Finian warriors of Celtic Ireland. One day Niamh set out to find Oisin. She crossed the sea on her magic, white horse named Embarr, Embarr, whose name means “imagination”, was able to run on the waves of the sea. Running quickly on the surface while the depths of regeneration, of life and death, ran silently below, Embarr, symbol of freedom, endurance, and spirit, transported Niamh with the power of imagination or intention.

Niamh found Oisin among the Fianna. Of course what mortal man could resist the beautiful allure of such a radiant Goddess? What man would not want to be transported to a land of light and beauty? So Oisin gladly mounted Embarr, seating himself behind Niamh. Together they went back across the sea to the Land of Youth, Tír na nÓg. There he passed what he thought were three happy years with Niamh. But little did Oisin understand that time had no meaning in that place of beauty and light. And though his soul rejoiced to be in such a place he began to long for the world of duality, the world of friends and struggles he had left behind. He did not want to completely give up the Land of Youth, he only wanted to visit his previous existence.

Niamh understood this well. She lent him Embarr to make the journey. But she warned him that he must not allow his feet to touch the ground. If he did, then earthly life would claim him once more, barring his return to Tír na nÓg forever. And so Oisin embarked on his journey, confident that he would return to Niamh soon.

Oisin did not understand that having basked in the radiance of light and love, his soul could not return to it’s previous state of existence. Upon arriving in Ireland he was surprised to find that all had changed. His former companions were gone, the land as he knew it was gone. In fact 300 years had passed since his departure, not 3. Finally he realized that the upper world, the world of normal waking reality that he had known was gone forever.

He turned Embarr round, intending to return to Niamh and the Land of Eternal Youth. Before reaching the sea he met a group of people trying to remove a rock that blocked the road. Oisin wished to help them. Knowing full well he must not touch Irish soil, he bent down from his saddle. As he reached for the rock, he fell from the horse and touched the ground. In an instant, Embarr disappeared and Oisin transformed from a strong, vital young man into an old, decrepit one. Alas he could never return to the Land of Youth.

Niamh waited for him for a long time, but she knew in her heart that he had returned to the upper world. Not long after his departure she gave birth to a beautiful daughter and named her Plur na mBan, The Flower of Women. Plus na mBan became the Faery Queen of Beltane, the Celtic celebration of life and renewal held every 1st of May.

After more time passed, Niamh, who continued longing sadly for Oisin, journeyed again to Ireland to find him. But Oisin was dead and gone from this earth forever.