Chapter 5 - Gettin In Good With Momma

Почніть із самого початку

Once 5:30 pm approaches, I get myself ready to leave for Nova's house

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Once 5:30 pm approaches, I get myself ready to leave for Nova's house. As I pull up in the drive, she runs out to greet me. She lives in an adorable craftsman style home across town. I notice in the sunlight how beautiful she is. She is a petite woman with long brown hair and blue eyes; her smile is warm and inviting. She embraces me in the drive as I step out of my car. Then an adorable little blonde with the prettiest blue eyes steps outside onto the porch with the biggest smile on her face. It must be Maggie, Dylan's sister. Nova leads me up the steps to the front porch where she stands, "Hi! I'm Maggie, you must be Mariah?" she greets me timidly.

"Yep, that's me. Nice to meet you, Maggie. I'm excited to go shopping with you and Brie on Saturday."

"Me too!"

As they lead me inside, I notice the house is tastefully decorated. The smell of garlic fills the air, making my stomach growl. Nova serves our plates with a generous portion of piping hot lasagna as we sit around the kitchen table together. This little southern woman certainly knows how to cook; this is the best lasagna I've ever eaten. While eating our dinner, we make small talk, discussing Maggie's plans to open a bakery with a side catering business. Apparently, the apple doesn't fall far; Maggie is known around town for her sweet confections in which she sells at concession stands during the festivals in town. I could tell by Nova's demeanor that she wanted to discuss something more personal but appeared to hesitate. I assume she's going to ask me about my intentions with Dylan. After we have finished our lasagna, she gets up from the table and strolls to the refrigerator to pull out the pie. Maggie sits back and exhales, holding her stomach, "No thanks, Momma, I'm stuffed," She excuses herself from the table and retires to the living room, no doubt recovering from a food coma.

Nova brings the pie over, sets it on the table, walks to the cupboard, grabs two plates with two forks, and sits down with me. I'm stuffed from the large portion of lasagna I scarfed down for dinner, but I don't want to be rude, so I graciously accepted. I'm surprised as she serves a generous portion on my plate, enough for two people. Oh boy, I hope I can finish all that. I'm going to give it my best shot; she must have a lot she needs to get off her chest now that Maggie has left the room, "So, Mariah, my boy seems to be quite smitten with you."

I take a bite of the pie, and the minute I taste the lemon flavor, it tantalizes my taste buds. This is, hands down, the best pie I've ever eaten, "The feeling is mutual for me," I choke out in between bites.

She takes a bite of pie before she continues, "What is your plan exactly? Are you going back home to start school, or can we expect to see you longer?"

I sit and contemplate for a moment before answering, taking in what she's asking me. I figured this was why she invited me over; she's wondering what my intentions are with Dylan. I can't say that I blame her. It's her son, and she is just looking out for him, "Well, to be honest, I've been looking into some other options because I'm enjoying my time here, but I haven't decided yet. Not all my credits transfer, so I'd have to take a couple of classes over. It wouldn't be too bad, but it's a lot to consider."