Nineteen

"Can't you just come down? What if you fall down?"

"I won't."

"Why must you stay there? It's warmer inside. Come back inside."

Elise rolled her eyes but still stood her ground. The little girl would lose to Kieran if she gives him access to what is acceptable to do or not, which is annoying but actually very heart warming. Elise wouldn't scold Kieran for that just because he was worried. She will scold him if he ovesteps too much into the line she had invisibly created.

But for now, Kieran's in the safety zone of hers.

Elise leaned back on the tree while she looked down at the man.

"Exactly." Elise beamed at Kieran and the man gave her an indignant look. His brows were knitted together, lips formed into a frown, eyes narrowed, his red eyes turned darker.

A look Elise is completely used with, therefore, she's immune to such things.

Elise snorted. "Don't make that face."

"What face?" He grumbled, annoyance painted on his tone with vengeance.

"That face." Elise pointed at him, amused at how his expression turned into annoyance mixed with confusion.

He threw his hands up in the air and sighed loudly. "Why must you speak in puzzles?"

Elise raised an amused brow. "I thought you were smart."

"I am!" Wow, talk about confidence. If confidence were a person then Kieran is a big, large sore thumb person of  a confidence. "You just talk gibberish. I don't understand your words."

Elise gasped. "I dont speak gibberish! What's so gibberish about saying that you're making a face?"

"It's the fact that you're saying that I'm making a face when in fact that I'm positively not making a face is the absolute gibberish part." Kieran rolled his eyes, crossing his arms.

"Oh, and I didn't forget that you didn't brought a blanket with you, young lady. It's almost winter and you will catch a cold soon if you don't follow what I've been yapping about." He added, his tone as icy as the weather.

The little girl rolled her eyes.

"But I'm warm enough." Elise pouted, trying to defending herself.

Kieran looks at her in disbelief. "How are you warm?"

"My heart keeps me warm." Elise giggled adorably, hugging her knees closer to her, looking more vulnerable in Kieran's watchful gaze. "You keep it warm when you say things like that."

Kieran's eyes widened comically, his jaw slightly opened and it took everything in her to not laugh at his face.

After a while (a torturous while because Elise was trying so damn hard not to laugh her ass off), Kieran scoffed and looked away but Elise saw a ghostly smile on his face that he was desperately trying to hide.

It made her smile.

"Flattery doesn't get you anywhere, Eli." Kieran had called her that nickname so fluently that he didn't even notice that he didn't really call her that in the first place.

"Flattery gets me somewhere." Elise shrugged. "Wanna know where?"

Kieran looks at her with a gentle smile on his face.

"Where?"

Elise smiled back lovingly. "Flattery gets me to escape you mother squirreling me, Kieran. Seriously. Flattery is like my acorn and I just threw it at you and you just smiled so adorably and... So squirrel-like who's happy to get the acorn."