17| Angel in disguise

Start from the beginning

I think for a moment. I get Hayden not wanting to accept the money, but I still want to help in some way, still want to be useful. My whole life, I have never done anything to help someone else; maybe it's time I start. 

"Well, why don't you start charging during the nights people come to watch you spar? I bet that would rake in money." 

Max walks up behind us, and I tense. For some reason, being so close to him always makes me hyper-aware of myself. "That wouldn't work," he says, looking at Maddie. "You have to have a license to host and make money from fights."

I bite my lip while I think of another solution. Max shifts his gaze from Maddie to stare at my mouth. "What if we have it at my house?" I ask. "I could throw a party and have people pay to enter, and, oh look, there just so happens to be some kids sparring in the backyard. All the proceedings would go to you guys, obviously." 

Hayden walks over now, those green eyes intense. "Why would you help us?" he asks. "You hardly even know us."

I shrug, able to feel Max staring at my profile. The truth is, having money can make you feel without purpose, but now that I'm on the brink of losing it, I'm forced to think about what I would do if I didn't have this money behind me. If I had to worry about losing my livelihood.

Max was right, I've always had everything handed to me, so I've never needed to work. I have no real skills or hobbies, nothing that defines me; maybe this is my defining moment.

"Is knowing someone beforehand a requirement of helping them?" I ask.

Hayden smiles. "I guess not."

"Then it's settled," I say, smiling back. "This Saturday at my house. Who's going to be fighting?" 

"I will," Max says, and I look at him. Up close like this, I see that his thick, dark lashes are long, but it just makes him all the more beautiful. 

"I will, too," Hayden says. It's the perfect solution for someone like Hayden, who seems to have a lot of pride. This way, he's not just receiving a handout, he's earning it.

I nod and say, "If we can somehow find you an opponent from The Palisades, it would be more of an incentive for my friends to watch." In my head, I'm already thinking up ways I can convince Justin to fight again. It shouldn't take much persuading, despite his last failed attempt. The moment I mention Max is fighting, he'll jump at the chance. "My boyfriend would probably be game."

"You think you can set it up?" Max asks. 

I nod and he grins, which makes my stomach burst with butterflies. It's so rare to see him smile–especially at me–that I can't help it. 

"All right," Hayden says, and it looks like a weight has lifted from his shoulders. "We'll talk about it properly tomorrow." He looks at Maddie now, grinning. "Maddie and I have a date to attend." He grabs her hand, and she smiles in return before the pair of them say their goodbyes. 

"They are far too cute for my liking," I say, watching them. When I turn back to Max, I see he's not watching them, but me.

"That was nice of you," he says, sounding serious. "Offering to help like that." 

I can tell from his face that I've surprised him a little, and made him think twice about me; I realize I like it. "I'm a nice person." 

The corner of his mouth twitches. "Modest, too." 

I ignore him for a moment as I tie up my hair. "You know, it's funny that it's considered kind to compliment other people, but we're against people complimenting themselves." When I look at him, he is looking at me with an expression that sits somewhere between amusement and disbelief. "What?"

He smiles now. Not a half-smile or an almost smile or something discreet, but a grin so big, all I can see are dimples and pearly-white teeth.

"I just can't figure you out," he says. "You're an enigma." 

"I thought you'd already figured me out," I say, feigning confusion. I hold up my hand and start to list off all the things he'd said about me. "I don't know the meaning of hard work, I'm high maintenance, I come to the gym in three inches of makeup–"

He playfully grabs my fingers to stop me from counting. "Those are still true," he says, and when I look at him, there's a wicked gleam in his eye.

He drops his hand like he's realized he's touching me. I'm suddenly aware of how close we're standing, so I move away and over to the weights area, picking up some of the lighter ones. He does the same but goes for the heavier set. He lifts them and smirks at me, clearly showing off, but I swear, my heart jumps.

This can't be good.

A/N
Comment a ❤️ if you enjoyed this chapter!