54| Drive me crazy

Max
________________

My gloves strike the bag with razor precision. To say that I'm pissed is an understatement – the heavy bag takes such a beating that I start to feel sorry for it  – but that's what the Class family does, albeit for very different reasons: drive you fucking crazy.

I throw a combo of punches and jabs, able to feel the pent-up aggression power through my hits. I've been doing this for nearly an hour now, and I'm no less irritated than when they showed up, so clearly, something isn't working. Still, hell if I'll admit I let them get to me. I focus harder, transfixed by the power that burns through my muscles with each quick one-two. As screwed up as I am right now, this rage is good for my fight.

Jaw clenched, I feel my breath roughen as I land a quick jab. It works for a while, this steady back and forth, but the harder I convince myself everything's fine, the harder it is to believe it. And that's the worst part - the part that makes me sick to my core: her parents were right.

Hell, Alyssa's message earlier all but confirmed it. She tells me she's fine, but now I find out that her friends - minus one - are icing her out, and she's elbow deep in milkshake. On what planet is that fine?

Throat tight, I punch the bag harder, trying to fight off the sliver of guilt as it works through my muscles, but the truth is, her parents were right, and I'm selfish as hell, 'cause even though I've watched this relationship upend her life, I can't find it in me to walk.

I land another jab, throwing a combo of uppercuts and right hooks, determined to focus on the upcoming fight, but doubt works its way under my skin. And as someone who's used to blocking out distractions, it's frustrating as hell.

"Shit, who pissed you off?"

I don't have to turn to know that it's Auden - I'd recognize that squeaky voice anywhere. "Shouldn't you be in school?"

"I'm taking a mental health day," he says as he walks up to a heavy bag.

I glance over, giving him a disapproving look. As much as this kid irritates me, hearing that he's skipping invokes my brotherly instincts. "This better be your last mental health day for a while," I warn.

He grins and slips on his boxing gloves. "What're you gonna do? Call up my school to check?"

I raise an eyebrow to show him I'm serious. "If I have to."

He falters a second, then rolls his eyes. "You know, Hayden doesn't give me this much grief."

I land another jab to the bag. "Hayden babies you."

"You baby me," he says before smiling. "Hey, you wanna spar?"

I fight back the laugh in my throat. Half a round with me, and Auden would be begging for mercy. Still, something about the hopeful look in his eyes strikes a chord. "I'm about to head out," I say, "but I'll make you a deal. If you can stay in school all week, I'll spar with you at the weekend. Deal?"

His eyebrow arches, a gentle reminder of his distrusting nature, but I don't exactly blame him. From what I've heard, Auden was dealt a pretty rough card. "Easy," he says, "and don't start crying when I beat you."

"I'll try not to," I say as I pull off my gloves, then nod to his heavy bag. "Don't hurt yourself, kid."

He mutters something I don't quite hear as I head into the office. It's convenient as hell to have access to the place between my sessions, but every time I walk in the room, which is barely big enough for the bed it contains, I'm reminded yet again of Alyssa's situation.