Chapter 33: Memories

Start from the beginning

Once I'm at the front I look up to all the families that lost some. My heart hurts more knowing that their are my extended family, the family joined by trust and love.

"I ..." I want to apologize, but for what exactly. I don't know. I take a deep breath and slowly exhale.

"Our warriors. All amazing people who went too soon will forever be loved and remembered for their sacrifices and will be laid to rest with pride. They gave us this life to continue and will shall not dampen their sacrifices. We will make them proud and live with their memories within our hearts. It will take time, for all of us but I know their would like to us smiling rather than crying our their death. Take your time to grieve, as much as you need to, but don't forget what their taught and live for them." I finish and the hall of people break into crys. Children, teens, brothers, sisters, wives and husbands all cry.

I look to my mum and see Aunt Crystal at her side and uncle Victor on his knees in front of my mother profusely apologizing. I don't move from my position and watch as my mum pulls him up and hugs him along with aunt Crystal.

It is the first time since dad past that she has made contact with them.

I turn back to the crowd "My father, Remus Kida Crest will forever be one of our great leaders and father figure." I pause and gently squeeze the two bodies in my arms before continuing "may he rest in peace and know that his sacrifices wasn't in vain and will forever be respected. I love you dad." I finish and walk back to the bench as tears fill my eyes.

The priest asks the families of who lost someone if they would like to say something, and slowly people, one by one speak about their loved ones.

Once everyone says their speech, the men carry the coffins and we head out, the twins still refusing to leave me.

At the burial ground, the fallen are buried along with past fallen family members and dad is put into ground where the past leaders lay. He is buried right next to grandpa, just like what he wanted.

When the entire ceremony ends, I stay I bit longer looking at the heaps of ground turned over and my sight ending at my mother sitting on her knees in front of dad's grave.

I sent, practically forced uncle Victor and aunt Crystal to check on Kyran, because I know there is no way they would want to leave mum alone.

The bodies in my arms slowly went limp hours ago, but the grip they have on me is solid. My arms hurt and feel numb, but I don't complain and just rest my back against a tree to escape the hush sun.

After half a hour mum walks over to us with the tiniest smile. From that smile I know she's going to be okay. She just needs to grieve.

We slowly start the walk to their house in slience. When we reach there, aunt Crystal is in the kitchen making lunch. Uncle Victor comes over to mum and tries to smile but he really can't.

"It's okay, don't blame yourself" mum pats his shoulders "he did what he did, because he felt it was right. Let's not blame anyone or it will make his sacrifice not worthy." She finishes and he hugs her and she returns it back as a sob escapes her.

Aunt Crystal comes to take the twins so we can put them in bed but they refuse yet again soon I just tell I'll keep them with me at the hospital. Mum and aunt Crystal packs lunch for us three and puts it into a plastic bag before slipping it into my hand and I walk away with a promise to visit tomorrow.

Once I'm at the hospital I struggle to open the door, but luckily Dean soon arrives and opens it for me. I see another hospital bed in the room and I'm thankful to Dean for getting me one, meaning some  of the hurt warriors have been released and are getting better.