Chapter 21: Preview

Start from the beginning

"Hey everyone!" She says waving at the camera. "I decided to give you a taste of my new album that's set to release later this year. This song hits home and I hope others can relate. Thank you and I hope you enjoy."

Nat stands back from the camera and steps over Jax who throws his arm over her shoulder as they watch her begin stringing her guitar. Her eyes not focusing on the camera but the lake itself. 

I retired my red lipstick 'cause you said you didn't like it
I didn't wear my high heel shoes
'Cause I couldn't be taller than you
I didn't wanna lose my friends, but now it's hard to even find them
It's what you wanted, ain't it?

Nat stands there with a proud smile on her lips. Her friend is channeling her emotions to make the song relatable. Jackson is standing gently bobbing his head while listening to her sing. Cass can feel images begin flooding her mind but she pushes through it. 

But I miss me more
I miss my own beat, to my own snare drum
I miss me more
Miss my own sheets in the bed I made up
I forgot I had dreams, I forgot I had wings
Forgot who I was before I ever kissed you
Yeah, I thought I'd miss you
But I miss me more (I miss me more)

The song continues and Cass can feel here eyes getting glossy but she continues. Remembering all the hurtful words. All the rough touches that should never have opened. She deserves better. Her eyes flicker seeing a movement to the side to find a newcomer. Keith stands their with his hands in his jean pockets while staring intently at her. She smiles and turns back to the camera to finish her song. 

The last string and everything is silent. Her chest is heaving from the overwhelming emotions. She gives a smile to the camera before Nat walks over turning off the recording. Nat can't seem to move. Her best friend did it perfectly... that was the only word to describe it. She provoked the raw emotion needed while still singing through the pain. Her voice holding the determination to overcome the struggles. 

A board creaking makes all eyes turn to see Keith walking over to Cass. He kneels down where Nat previously was placing his hand on her knee. Her eyes locked with his hypnotic pair. A small smile on his lips making her smile even with the tear rolling down her cheek. He reaches up to brush it away. 

"Okay, nope! Stop!" Nat steps forward not wanting to see this. It helps break the tension as some giggles tumble from Cass. Keith just smirks and stands up offering his hand which Cass takes. Both standing up looking to her. "I can't stomach this."

"But you with my agent is okay?"

"Hey! That's not fair, I didn't know who he was before hand." Her hand gesturing to the smirking fool. His only reply is a wink that makes Nat blush profusely before turning back to Cass and Keith. Her finger coming out to point at her brother. "You clearly knew he was!"

A phone ringing interrupts their argument. All turning to see Jackson holding out his phone to Cass. Her eyebrow rising wondering whose calling his phone. Reading the name, she chews her nail. 

"Cassie?"

"Yes Tate?"

"I was watching live feed... Cassie, that song is epic. You did a marvelous job sweetheart!" Cass exhales and smiles appreciating his praise. "I'm going to post it tonight and follow up with you tomorrow. Keep it up Cassie!"

"Thanks Tate..." She says feeling her heart warm with his compliment. She hangs up handing back the phone to Jax. Her attention turned back to Nat. "I won't make comments about you two if you will let me be... regardless of whom may enter my life."

Nat knows she is clearly speaking of her brother. She relents not wanting her brother to hear of her exploits with Jackson. She turns to Jackson whose arm wraps around her side giving her a reassuring smile. She huffs and slouches. 

"Fine!" Cass smiles and leans forward to kiss her cheek. Nat smiles and looks to her brother. His eyes holding a sparkle she hasn't seen in some time. God, I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. "Now on a separate note. I've been called to go visit the Dirty Dozen tonight."

"The what?" Cass says completely confused. Jax also is looking confused but Nat and Keith just grin before answering. 

"The Dirty Dozen is the name of the local saloon. It's owned by a family friend who wants us there tonight... He's closing it down for a private party mostly family and you two are coming." Nat says pointing at both Jax and Cass. 

"Are you sure-" Jackson speaks up gesturing towards Cass. Nat nods her head in response. 

"Julio has a strict no camera policy. He has his own but only for legal reasons. We can trust him."

Jax still seems on the fence but Cass seems excited as she bites her lip and squeals. Keith smiles down at the bouncy blonde hoping to show her a good time. Nat can't help but giggle at her friend's evident happiness. Jax just leans over kissing her head as they continue standing on the back porch talking. 

********************************************************

"Have you heard Cassie Lyndel's new song?!"

"Cassie Lyndel released a raw and fresh song that is pure power!"

"Miss me more has made a ground breaking request on first day released!"

Tate sits back in his office chair reading some of the headlines about the song he posted earlier today. He has never been so proud to be a producer as he was today. Cass showed pure strength in how she created and sang that song. It was clear to everyone that it was about her past relationship but was surprising was how many people related to it. Cass was a super star and he was one lucky son of a bitch. He flicked on his radio while going back to his work. 

"Now to those who have been living under a rock. Recently superstar, Cassie Lyndel went through something personal with her prior manager, Landon Bounds. A LOT have speculated on what actually occurred... On who was the true victim in the end. Many had sided with what they heard due to Cassie's timely disappearance. BUT with the release of her latest single, Miss Me More, it has casted a whole new light on the singer and her past flame."

"Yes indeed, artists are trained to perform their songs with little emotion however Cassie was able to show her pain and determination in her song. It was a powerful anthem that many... many girls can relate to."

"I agree, we still don't know what happened exactly or where she is but it's clear the artist is powering her story into her new album and we can not be any more thrilled to hear more."

"Absolutely! Cassie, if you're hearing this... We loved your song and we can not wait to hear more!" 

Tate flicks the radio off lounging back in his chair with a proud smile on his lips. He twirls the chair leaning back and looking to the ceiling. Cassie Lyndel is force to reckoned with and now with her so far away. She may finally reach the potential he saw all those years ago. 

Time will tell...