12.DYLAN

CHAPTER 12: I THINK ABOUT MY SISTER

The last thing I remember before passing put was that the van was spinning out of control and we jumped out just before it exploded. I woke up to Lynn shaking my shoulder.

“What happened?” I looked around, but the only people who were with me were Lynn and Connor. “Where are Stephanie and Aiden?” Lynn looked down, “We were separated when we jumped out of the van.”

“How long was I out?” I asked. “About an hour or two.” Connor said as he helped me to get on my feet and looked to Lynn for an explanation, she seemed to get the message. “We were separated from them when the van exploded, they jumped out before we did. Just a little while back, Connor went looking for them, but no luck. So, according to Connor’s calculations, they probably are miles away.”

My head felt like spinning, the longest time I had ever been separated from my sister was when I went to a friend’s house for a sleepover. So, I practically lived with her my entire life. I couldn’t bear the thought of not seeing her for a long time. “We need to find them. Did you try to contact them?” I asked. “Yes, we tried contacting both of them, but no one seems to be answering.” I took a deep breath, I shouldn’t panic, I needed to be strong, for my sister. “We should look for a place to stay, seeing that it’s getting dark.” I looked towards the sky. “Yeah.” They both agreed, we walked towards a bright light that was showing itself in the distance.

          Turns out that the light was actually an inn, we sighed at our luck. We walked through the hall, Lynn went to the bathroom, I went to order some food, and Conner got us a room to share for the night.

          The room Conner got us was pretty big; there were three single beds, a bathroom, and a table and chairs. Did I mention there was a plasma TV? Well, there was. Once the food I ordered arrived, we feasted on it like hyenas feasting on their prey. Pretty gross if you ask me. But hey, we were starving. After our little feast, we each took turns on using the bathroom, and we crashed on our beds and fell asleep. Well, they fell asleep, I was awake a little longer. I stared at the ceiling, thinking about Stephanie and Aiden. ‘Were they OK? Did they have food? Did they find a place to rest?’ But the thought that lingered in my mind was, ‘will I ever see my sister again?” and then, I fell asleep.

          Let’s just say I was woken up to a screaming Lynn. Well, it technically happened, but that’s not the point. The point is that Lynn was screaming. I practically fell off the bed, due to the shock. Connor and I rushed to her side, “What’s wrong?” I asked. She tried to speak, but couldn’t, her mouth just opened and closed like a fish out of water. “Lynn, what’s wrong? You’re starting to scare us.” Connor remarked and I nodded in agreement. Then I had an idea, I gave her my phone and told her to type what was wrong. She typed in, ‘I saw a man, he was wearing a maroon coat and a tux underneath. I didn’t see his face, but he’ that was all she typed before bursting into tears. “What happened, Lynn. Please, tell us. We want to help.” I said. She grabbed both of our shirt collars and whispered, “He had Stephanie and Aiden. They looked- they- they looked, dead.” She started sobbing harder.

          I fell on my knees, and buried my face in my hands. Was it true? Is my sister really gone? Whoever that man was, he was going to pay. No one ws going to hurt my sister and gets away with it. Connor just stood there, completely dumbfounded. Tears streamed down his face. Suddenly, I was the door opened, and the lights were turned off. Then, my vision darkened.