5. DYLAN

OfCHAPTER 5: THE SECRET, REAVEALED

     {DYLAN}

          Of course Stephanie would run to Mom and Dad and say, “Who is Drako? What are you hiding from us? What will happen to us if Drako does find us?” As that happened, I mentally face-palmed about ten times. Oh, the joys of having a twin sister who doesn’t listen to you. “What are you talking about, Steph?” Dad asked trying to look absolutely dumbfounded.

          “You know what we were talking about,” Stephanie said with pure confidence, it didn’t sound like her.

          “Sweetheart-” Mom started. But Dad interrupted her. “You two are very precious to us. That is why we try to protect you,” Dad explained. “Protect us from what, Dad?” Stephanie demanded.

          Mom and Dad exchanged glances and dad said, “When both of you were born, you were the cutest little things. We thought that both of you were perfectly normal, until one day, when we went swimming, Dylan drowned.”

          “Wait, I DROWNED?!” I asked, absolutely in shock. “Wow.”

          “Well, we thought he drowned. When your father dived to look for him, he found Dylan swimming and looked unhurt,” Mom explained.

          “How?” I asked. Of course I wanted to know why I didn’t drown. So that I can tell that to my children and my children’s children, you get my point.

          “Long before, there were three great magicians,” Dad explained. “they wanted power over the water, light, wind, fire, and darkness. So, they created five stones that can control those elements. Each had a different color, representing their element. But before they even got to use it, they were defeated by another great magician-”

          “Who was it Dad?” I interrupted him. Whoops.

          “His name was Drako,” Mom said looking quite pale, as she did when she was nervous or worried. In this case, she was feeling both.

“They hide the stones everywhere, until three great heroes and two heroines from the prophecy would find them. The stones could be anywhere.” Dad finished and looked at us with a grim look. “And Mom and I think that you have powers.”

          “Mom, what does the prophecy say?” Stephanie asked.

          “THREE SONS OF ADAM AND TWO DAUGHTERS OF EVE,

           MUST MAKE ONE MORE BELIEVE

          THE ELEMENT STONES THEY SEEK,

          BUT WILL SUCCEED WITH THE WEAK” Mom recited, she looked miserable.

          “Why do you think that we have powers?” Stephanie asked.

          “When both of you turned six, you argued about who should open the gifts first.” Mom explained. “You both got so mad, you yelled at one another and suddenly, a huge wave of water came tumbling down on all of us, soaking our clothes. Everyone was dripping wet, except for Dylan. Soon after that, a bright light entered the room, causing everyone to crumble to the floor, except-”

          “Me,” Stephanie said. “But how?”

“You and your brother’s genes are special, different from us. But I haven’t got the slightest idea why or how, he just told us,” Mom said.

          “Who told you, Mom?” I asked.

“One of Dad’s closest friends, Dr. Freed,” Mom replied.

“So, Stephanie and I really have powers then?” I asked. Mom nodded. “Cool!” I exclaimed.

          “Yes, it’s pretty cool. But remember kids, with great power, comes great responsibility,” Dad said.

“Spiderman,” I mumbled to myself. Dad was such a copycat.