9. STEPHANIE

CHAPTER 9: SEEING THINGS

{STEPHANIE}  

          I woke up on a bed in the school clinic. I saw Connor, he smiled at me. I smiled back. He told the others to stop what they were doing, and that we’ll discuss about our ‘quest’. He sat down next me. “How long was I out?” I asked.

          “About three hours or so,” Dylan said.

          “Oh,” I said, suddenly feeling dizzy.

          “How did it feel…..you know, when you heated up?”

          “It felt like I could do anything, I was overwhelmed with power. I felt like a god or something. Is that crazy?”

          “No. Not crazy at all.”

          “Good, for a second there, I thought I was going crazy.” I told them. “So, where does this Dr. Freed live?” Lynn asked.

          “I checked the internet and it said that he lives in Chicago,” Connor said.

          “Great, I’ll pay for our fee.” Aiden said, since he was the richest among all of us, even though he was a foster child. “When do we leave?” I asked.

          “How about, tomorrow, after class?” Dylan asked.

          We all nodded to the new schedule. Just then, I saw a man looking at our group. He wore a maroon coat over a black tux and was wearing black, round shades, so I couldn’t tell who he was. “Did you see that?” I asked them, surprised. “See what Steph?” Dylan asked me.

          “That man, in the maroon coat and the tux,” I said.

          “Steph, nobody’s there. Maybe you’re seeing things,” Connor suggested. I believed him, because I wanted to believe him. I looked at Connor. “So, what do your powers do?”

          “Well, Connor can control the shadows and pretty much anything dark. Lynn can control the wind and cause storms and stuff. And I can control fire, and the heat of the sun. And burn stuff.” Aiden answered. “Oh.” I said, “I think that we had enough surprises for one day.” “Yeah.” Everyone said in chorus and we all laughed. It felt good to laugh.