Chapter 95: Leaps

The few weeks following the initial contact from the Chilean police had been quiet enough that Lex felt she had to do something to break the stillness and agreed to go out clubbing with Serena, a thing she thought she'd never do now that she'd married. Rolf went with them, however, and the three ended up at a club in London that Rolf remembered going to in university.

He led her to a back passage that no one else seemed to know about and then up a rickety set of stairs. She stopped behind her husband to ask where they were going when he pushed open a door in front of them and reached back for her. Lex took Rolf's hand and he pulled her out onto the roof.

The weather had turned cold enough to see her breath, and Lex sighed a cloud out as she looked up. They had lucked into a clear night, though, and Lex swallowed around the frog in her throat and blinked until she could view the stars overhead again, some of the same constellations she could remember seeing as a child. She smiled as she looked out across the river at the million lights on the other side, reflecting on the water.

"It's really nice up here," she said after a while, her voice unsteady.

Rolf smiled and looked at her. "I remember coming up here with some of my friends during university. One of the girls in our circle worked here, and we'd come up here sometimes after the club closed during the summer and drink beer and talk until the sun came up."

Lex sighed and looked out over the city again. "It looks like such an interesting place. I wish we could all get lost here."

Shrugging, Rolf replied, "The more unusual you are, the harder it is to get lost."

Letting out another sigh, Lex said, "This waiting is killing me. I just keep wondering how long everything is going to take, will we make it somewhere else before the American authorities catch up with us again."

Rolf stepped behind her and put his arms around her and Lex sighed as she leaned back against him, relishing how warm her husband felt. "So, we'll do what we've been doing and keep a step ahead of them. After a while we'll find somewhere we can stay where they won't be able to get to us."

"How do you know?" she asked in a voice so small, she felt certain he hadn't heard, until she felt a chuckle rumble through his chest.

"We'll figure it out somehow, just like we always have before. I have faith in us," he said, and Lex smiled to hear the confidence in his voice.

She'd almost forgotten about their conversation a week later when she got an urgent e-mail from the ship. "Come out here as soon as you can. There's something you need to see right away."

It had taken Lex an hour to get hold of Serena, since the other woman had taken Riss to a meeting with a potential new client and Lex had to wait until they got back. She'd asked and found Iris sleeping after doing some transportation for the Japan team, so Lex tried to be patient as she waited for Serena's return.

Lex felt nervous as she and Serena appeared on deck of the ship, not knowing what to expect, but it slipped away as she looked around to see a large group on deck, underneath some awnings. It appeared to be all of the psychics on the ship and Navid attached together, most with their eyes closed and expressions of concentration. Lex turned to Serena, who'd been opening her mouth as if to say something, and put a finger on her lips, gesturing towards the others on deck. Serena grinned and nodded, then led the way to the command room.

"I'm sorry, it took us a longer to get here than I wanted," Lex said as she entered the room, but she stopped as she realized everyone inside seemed to be paying attention to the picture being projected on the wall.