Chapter 39: Counterstrike

Lex later found out that it had taken most of that day just to stabilize Derek enough for Lily to come home for some sleep. The doctor mentioned at dinner a few days later that Derek had finally woken up and had asked to see Victor right away. Lex listened with a raised eyebrow, knowing that she would have given Victor the same look if he hadn't been at work just then.

Two days later, Lex and Rolf sat at their desks filling out some paperwork late in the afternoon when Victor came in. Lex glanced up in surprise, realizing that Victor had arrived a couple of hours early for his shift.

"What's up?" she asked when she realized that he'd headed straight for her.

Victor had his usual serious expression, but he seemed to be restless as well. As Lex glanced at his face for a moment more, she smiled in a calm way, reading the signs of nervousness on him for the first time she could remember.

"Well," he responded, looking from Lex to Rolf and back again, "I've talked to Derek a lot over the past couple of days. He's really not an assassin. He's a good kid."

Lex inclined her head, acknowledging that he'd spoken more than anything else. "I stopped in to see Lily just after this all happened, and I saw him then. He looked so young, even though I know he's supposed to be almost twenty."

Victor gave her an enigmatic look before he continued to speak. "Anyway, he told me he'd like to see you. He said he understood if you refused. He asked for Riss, too, but I had to explain that Riss works another shift."

Lex felt her stomach contract as she heard Derek's request. Do I really want to meet the guy who terrorized me for days, making sure I couldn't leave the house without fearing for my life? As she considered that for a moment, Lex felt surprised to find an affirmative answer bubbling to the top of her mind, that she did want to meet him.

"All right," Lex replied, her tongue seeming to slow down on the syllables as if she couldn't quite believe she'd said them.

She felt Rolf's movement before she saw it, but when she turned in his direction, Lex found that he'd stood up. "I'd like to come along, too," he said, and when Lex met his eyes she could see his request for permission from her.

"Sure," Lex said, and turned to Victor with her eyebrow raised, "if that's OK."

"No problem. He already mentioned that if you wanted to bring anyone else, he'd be fine with that."

Lex nodded, wondering what Derek might have to say to her. "Lead the way," she replied to Victor.

The three of them made their way up to the infirmary, and Lex noted that Victor now had to use a keycard to get into the room. She remained silent as they walked to the bed Derek still lay in, and stayed quiet as she studied his face now that he'd awoken. Lex smiled to herself as she looked him, thinking that he reminded her of some typical surfer boy from a film—tall and lean with light blonde hair and blue eyes, a strongly featured face, and what looked like a tan. The only thing that spoiled the picture was what she saw in his eyes. The look there wouldn't have been out of place on a much older man and spoke volumes about loss and shame.

Her eyes flickered to Victor, but the other man stared out a nearby window, so instead Lex looked back at Derek and tried to smile. He looked so thin and exhausted that she could feel her eyes start to prickle.

"Hello, Derek."

"Hello, Ms. Mansfield," he began, his voice halting and thick, and Lex found herself starting to blink more in response.

"Please, just call me Lex," she said, trying harder to give him a calm, friendly smile and keep tears at bay.

He looked away quickly, as if he'd been burned, and continued speaking, sounding sort of muffled. "Ms. Lex. Thank you for coming to talk with me."