Make-Believe (Levi x Illusionist Reader)

Start from the beginning

The two of you sat there, clutching each other tightly, squeezing your eyes shut as you waited for the end to come. And you waited. And waited.

But nothing happened.

Slowly, you looked up. Levi followed suit not a second later, completely stunned by what he saw.

"They're...moving away," he breathed in utter disbelief.

You nodded. "They can't see us."

Levi's eyes snapped to you. "What...?"

"I'll explain later," you murmured. "We should go."

Levi was still in shock, but he forced it away for the time being. Explanations could come later. The most important thing right now was getting away before the titans realized you two were still there.

------------------------------------------

Of course, you had to tell Levi about your ability to create illusions. He was surprised, as anyone would have been, but to your immense relief, he didn't hate you or call you a witch. In fact, he was more curious than anything, and he actually asked you to show him more of what you could do.

You and Levi began experimenting with your powers, and you were shocked to learn their true extent. With the exception of when you fooled the titans, you had never made anything larger than the size of your palm. You hadn't even been sure that you could make something big enough to force the titans away.

However, you discovered that you could cast illusions over anything within a ten-meter radius. Anyone inside that circle could see what you were doing, while anyone outside of it would see things as they really were. You could make people see and hear things easily, and if you were really trying, you could make them feel, smell, and taste things as well.

You weren't actually creating objects – just tricking people's senses. You couldn't make illusions real or make real things disappear. For example, even if your illusion made it look like a chair was just air, someone could still trip over the chair.

Thus, your secret became shared. And while exploring your powers made you happy, your greatest joy was using them to help Levi.

This world had been so cruel to him that hardly a moment went by without him feeling saddened or guilty. But your illusions offered an escape. When Levi was lost in them, appreciating their beauty, he forgot about the harshness of reality for a little while. And when he needed rest, you could create a calming atmosphere to soothe him.

However, Levi's greatest comfort was you.

------------------------------------------

You sat under an old oak tree, reading by the sun's dimming light. Except, to you, the oak tree was actually a cherry blossom tree. The sunlight was actually moonlight, accompanied by the twinkling of a thousand stars. Whenever the wind ruffled your hair, flower petals swirled around gracefully before floating back to the soft earth.

The instant Levi stepped inside your circle, he forgot how to breathe. "You've really outdone yourself, brat," he muttered, staring at the sky in wonder.

You smiled and added a few more stars for him, knowing how much he loved the sight.

Once Levi was able to tear his gaze away from the little world you had created, he began walking toward you. You closed your book and patted the spot next to you, scooting over a bit so he could also rest against the tree.

"So, what's on your mind?" you asked as he slid down next to you.

At first, you thought that the pink tint on his cheeks must have been a trick of the light, caused by the pink petals floating around you. But upon closer inspection, you discovered that wasn't the case.