Sakura (Levi x Witch Reader)

Author's Note: This was updated on 8/12/20. I hope you enjoy the new-and-improved version! (Also, small spoilers for the beginning of season 4.)

Many changes had come after the Scouts finally reached the ocean. One of the first ships to arrive in your fledgling harbor brought a woman called Kiyomi Azumabito, who provided technology and equipment to modernize your little island. She also provided some astonishing information about certain bloodlines on Paradis, including your own.

According to Ms. Azumabito, your family came from a clan of witches – meaning that you, yourself, were a witch. You had trouble believing her at first, but it did explain all the strange things that had happened whenever you were angry or scared.

Your relatives in a far-off country invited you to visit them and learn how to use your powers. At first, you were hesitant to accept. You didn't want to be apart from your husband, Levi, for such a long time, especially now that war was on the horizon. You wanted to be with him, to fight by his side.

However, in the end, the imminent war was the reason you decided to leave. It was Levi who reasoned that Paradis would need all the help it could get, including any skills you might learn as a witch. As much as it pained him to watch you go, you both knew that you had to do what was best for your people.

You promised to return as quickly as possible. Levi promised to still be there when you did.

Once you started training, you realized just how great your magic power was, and you mastered your skills rather quickly. You soon caught up to your relatives, and even surpassed them with your unique shadow magic.

However, Ms. Azumabito had forgotten to mention one thing, which your relatives informed you of upon your arrival. You weren't just a witch – you were witch royalty. A princess. That, along with your incredible exploits during training, made you a topic of interest for people around the world.

To protect your friends, you didn't want anyone to connect the long-lost princess with Captain (f/n) Ackerman from Paradis. If they did, they might threaten your friends in an attempt to control you. So whenever you were out in public, you wore an elegant black half-mask over your eyes. You also never gave anyone your name, so all they knew were the hushed titles that were whispered in your wake.

Witch Princess. The Darkling. Mistress of Shadows.

Your considerable power was only partially responsible for your success. You actually owed most of it to your hard work and determination. You strived to learn as much as you could, as fast as you could, so that you could return to your husband sooner.

You missed him every day. You made sure to keep tabs on Paradis, and although you didn't hear any news about Levi specifically, what you did hear made you worry for him. Paradis was getting closer and closer to open war, and fanatics called "Jaegerists" were rapidly expanding their influence. While Levi was the strongest man alive, he wasn't invincible, and you couldn't help but feel anxious as you heard about the mounting chaos that he was surely in the middle of.

Three years after you left Paradis, you heard something that made your heart stop. The Jaegerists, who had grown powerful enough to control the government, had arrested Levi and were planning to execute him. You knew Levi would never commit the treason he was accused of, and you were certain the Jaegerists were only doing this because he was the single biggest threat to Eren and Zeke. It seemed that your friends could do nothing to help – not even Queen Historia, who was close to giving birth and had left her ministers in charge of ruling the kingdom.

By the time you heard the news, Levi had been in chains for over two weeks. His execution was scheduled for tomorrow.

You didn't take the time to tell your relatives goodbye, or to ask for their help. As skilled as you were, you wouldn't need it. You only needed the magical amplifier that you carried in your pocket for emergencies. It had just enough power for one round trip, which suited you perfectly.